Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 248 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #50535 07/08/09 10:17 AM
    R
    Raddy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    Anyone have any experience of using colour filters to help children who are having difficulty reading read better?

R
    Raddy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    Hey Dottie - I'll fill you in on the WISC a bit later. As you can guess the EP is going to look at dyslexia issues
    Paul

T
    T
    I have several students with whom I've used various filters, with varying results (only one "dramatic" result, but many positive results in terms of improving stamina and fluency). My favorite actually doesn't have color. It is translucent grey with a clear window for one line of text. Most of my students liked this one because it isolated the line they were reading (making it jump out)but didn't hide the line below it, so the return sweep is easier and reading is more fluent. I had one student who liked that format, but preferred the color yellow, so he would slide a wide yellow filter underneath it. A recent modification I used was to take one of the slim strips, cut the solid border off of the top, and then cut the size to cover only 4-6 words at a time. This forces the reader to actively "sweep" left to right as they read. It was fantastic for a student who seemed to be seeing and trying to process the entire sentence at once. Once we began using that accomodation, he became much more fluent. It occurs to me that colored tabs that are on page dividers might word for this. The tinting isn't exact, but it might be a cheap/easy way to test color preferences. Also, if you have a teacher supply shop in the area you can probably find these kinds of tools and save yourself shipping costs smile.

Last edited by Taminy; 07/08/09 11:25 AM.
    R
    Raddy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    Thanks Taminy.
    I guess we just have to try and see what works best - trial and error; and the tip about using the coloured strips off the page dividers is a peach! We can get rulers with coloured strips in the middle, and I guess they're not that expensive, but what if I buy a yellow strip and he needs a grey one - or a blue one :-)

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM