Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 210 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    This is question about my high-schooler who has a GIEP and a needs-based IEP. His IEP is up for re-eval so the district is doing new testing - cognitive and achievement. Most of the eval has been done already (it was due in the spring but COVID_19 shut down testing.) The bases for his needs-based IEP are ADHD issues and "specific learning disorder with impairment in written expression." He literally can not hand-write letters and numbers correctly or efficiently (reversals, can't remember how to make the symbols, etc.) but is a very good 'writer' when given tech. His disorder is literally in the mechanics of writing by hand (can not form letters, reversals, can not hand write and think at same time, etc.) I am concerned about the disorder continuing to be documented and continuing as one of the bases of his IEP. He has aged out of PAL II test (The Process Assessment of the Learner"), which is the only way he got identified in the first place- his scores were so low they had to identify. He always scores "average" on the TOWL (which makes me very skeptical of that assessment because literally he literally can not handwrite (of course in order to score "below average you have to score in the bottom 10% so that is probably why he always scores "grade-level"). I am seeing though that there is a test called "Test of Handwriting Skills - Revised" It looks very very similar to PAL II but it is normed for higher grades. Are there any other tests that look at handwriting specifically - letter formation, fluency, legibility, etc. for his age group (9th grade)? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Irena; 10/08/20 07:29 AM.
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    EDIT: forgot to respond to your specific question! Yes, the THS-R is also appropriate.

OT assessments: The DASH and DASH17+ focus purely on the mechanics of functional handwriting. When I looked up the DASH, I was pleased to discover that an upward extension had been added some years ago.

Detailed Assessment of Speed of Handwriting, DASH 17+

Assesses fine motor skills, speed, impact of speed and language generation on handwriting.

Here's an example of a couple of case studies using the DASH which you may find resonate:
    https://www.pearsonclinical.co.uk/AlliedHealth/PaediatricAssessments/PerceptualFineMotorDevelopment/DetailedAssessmentofSpeedofHandwriting(DASH)/Resources/DASH-case-studies.pdf

Last edited by aeh; 10/08/20 08:22 AM.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Thank you SO MUCH, AEH - you are a gem!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM