Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Z
    OP Offline
    Z
    I really don't mean to sound ungrateful but my son finally got an IEP in Health (ADHD) of which he was diagnosed in kindergarten and was on a 504. He was recently diagnosed independently with Dyslexia and Dysgraphia and they won't recognize that. I feel like this is a bait and switch. He will get some services but not related to Dyslexia. I don't know what to do.

D
    D
    Hi Zoey,

Who diagnosed the dyslexia and dysgraphia? Can you get that person to write a nice meaty report with lots of data to share with the school? Perhaps even get them to come to a meeting? Or find an educational advocate to help you make your case? We've done both of these things.

We have mostly made good headway with the school when we have tons of incontrovertible data that show what the needs are with crystal clarity. Even then, it can take a while.

You can also request in writing that the school re-evaluate him for these particular issues-- don't call them dyslexia and dysgraphia, but describe the issues you see thoroughly (problems with phonological recognition, difficulty sounding out words, fatigues quickly when writing, difficulty producing written work, whatever it is in his case-- describe it). The book From Emotions to Advocacy has explanations of how and why to do this.

Dysgraphia is a tough one-- most schools don't recognize that it exists. At most you can get them to see "disorder of written expression."

Edited to add: I wouldn't get hung up on the IEP classification, though I would agree that Specific Learning Disability will fit better once you have the full picture acknowledged. Still, the category doesn't matter for services-- what matters is that everyone recognizes all the issues and agrees on what is important to remediate.

Last edited by DeeDee; 02/27/14 07:34 PM. Reason: additional idea
    F
    F
    Hi ZOEY and DeeDee,
    I agree with DeeDee's advice, and second the motion to have other people in the meeting with you. You know your child better than anyone, and if the IEP goals don't meet your child's top 3-5 needs, then draft out what you'd like and propose it.
    Some great resources for dysgraphia include the NCLD website (national center for learning disAbilities).

IF your son still has the ADD/ADHD eligibility, keep it. Once your child is identified under a category of eligibility - he can get services to meet his needs. So make sure his NEEDS are WELL DOCUMENTED in the IEP (e.g., writing accommodations, such as Dragon software, Read Write and Blue reading software, and other AT devices, software, and apps for mobile devices) can help. If you have trouble - write your objections and concerns on the consent form: Consider partial consent. Our district doesn't acknowledge on the form that this is an option:

"I provide consent to secure eligibility and services for my child, however I disagree with the IEP Goals because they do not meet his needs. Based on his weaknesses, he needs to develop the following skills:
    5. xxxxxx"

Remember - you need to focus on the end point (goal). How the school decides to get there is a separate issue. But you can request/strongly request/ask for standardized testing each year to have a standardized measurement.

Nothing worse than accepting just "teacher observations" - for if a pushy Assistant Principal puts pressure on her to "pass" the child to reduce the caseload, it places the teacher in a precarious situation!!!

Not sure which State you are in, but the IEP Team is the group that decides who gets what. Make sure you bring others with you so you are not outnumbered. You need the emotional support, plus if someone will play bad cop, it will take some heat off you. Taking care of 2E kids is challenging enough!
    Good luck!

MissyC

MissyC
    Z
    OP Offline
    Z
    Thank you so much! I am an expert on my child not the system. I keep thinking I should get an advocate to help. We live in Massachusetts, and Children's Hospital in Boston diagnosed him through a full evaluation. I asked the team if they accepted the diagnosis and they avoided the question, they said he is unique because his IQ is so high, (IQ 135) and masking his other issues on paper. I told them that all they need to do is to look at his writing prompt. Of which 80% is spelled wrong, no spaces between words and no punctuation, and that is if a person can read it. I will see what the actual IEP says a accept it partially, and keep working on the rest of the issues.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM