Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 321 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    #170357 10/06/13 10:57 AM
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    DS was assessed with DIEBELS a week or so ago. His Diebels scores are really low - well below the benchmarks. His reading level is relatively high, though. He is beginning 2nd grade but his DRA is 28 (which is the benchmark for the end of 2nd). I am not sure what his instructional level is but at home he is reading books on a DRA level of about 40 (he needs to ask me what a few words are though). I have him read aloud to me to make sure he is reading the words correctly and he is.

Should I be concerned about the DIEBELS?

Irena #170360 10/06/13 11:01 AM
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Here are the scores:

Nonsense word fluency - correct letter sound - 64 (benchmark is 74+);

Nonsense word fluency - whole word reading - 9 (benchmark is 22+)

However for oral reading fluency he scored 94 and benchmark is 80.

For oral reading accuracy he scored 95% and benchmark is 99%.

For DRA the benchmark is level 18 and he is at level 28. 100 book challenge he is at RR and benchmark is BB (two levels lower)

Irena #170362 10/06/13 11:15 AM
    Ugh-- yeah. Basically, the DIBELS is not even SUITABLE for children who are already reading fluently with decoding skills and have begun transitioning to SSR which more probably uses whole language methods for common, recognized words.

For example:

How rapidly can you read this sentence aloud? Pretty fast, I think.

Now this sample:

ghive thento argen wassle trall evren subble stip arven wingle bapp voff elough.

See how much more you stumble over the second? Yeah-- well, if you weren't JUST AS FAST at the two tasks, and just as ACCURATE, then you just "failed" that portion of this test.

Since kids are often not instructed that the words WILL be nonsense, and that they need to just 'read them the way they should sound' they may think the entire exercise is a joke, or that there is something screwy with that part of the test, leading them to be reluctant to take it seriously.

Whole language readers will fail this part of things.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Irena #170363 10/06/13 11:16 AM
    B
    B
    DIBELS is a test of reading fluency. The child (at least in the district I worked in last year) reads 3 passages and is timed for 1 minute, while the examiner marks off errors. The total score is the correct words per minute. The high and low scores are thrown out to get a final score.

You can probably find numbered reading passages online at the right grade level and test him yourself. EasyCBM is similar to DIBELS. For second grade, the 50th percentile in the fall is 49 correct wpm and 93 in the spring (I have a chart). The 90th percentile in second grade is 99 wpm in the fall and 143 in the spring. I remember DD in second grade (last year) was around 150 in fall and just over 200 in the spring and that was 99th percentile for both.

It could be that there was a problem with the test he was given...maybe they miscalculated his score for instance. Or your DS was nervous or not cooperating.

I'm not sure what DRA is, I always used A-Z (I worked as a tutor last year). But I do know that fluency is highly correlated to comprehension.

I read HowlerKarma's post and I'm not aware of DIBELS having nonsense words like that, however the district I was in used CBM's, and they were just normal reading passages. I know my kids' school uses DIBELS.

Last edited by blackcat; 10/06/13 11:18 AM.
    Irena #170365 10/06/13 11:23 AM
    B
    B
    Originally Posted by Irena
    Here are the scores:

Nonsense word fluency - correct letter sound - 64 (benchmark is 74+);

Nonsense word fluency - whole word reading - 9 (benchmark is 22+)

However for oral reading fluency he scored 94 and benchmark is 80.

For oral reading accuracy he scored 95% and benchmark is 99%.

For DRA the benchmark is level 18 and he is at level 28. 100 book challenge he is at RR and benchmark is BB (two levels lower)

I'm surprised they are still doing nonsense words in second grade. Where I worked, they stopped in the middle of first grade, once kids started to actually read fluently. Nonsense words are confusing and I don't think you should make much of them. I tried to give my kids a nonsense words assessment once and DD thought she was supposed to individually sound out every letter rather than say whole words, so she scored low.

Irena #170368 10/06/13 11:51 AM
    Z
    Z
    I think it goes to show the specific visual challenges. All the challenge areas would be realistic measures for children who learned to read by being trained on phonemes. Our visually challenged, whole word, self-taught readers don't do so well on nonsense words and exact word reading. As those skills don't map to their developmental trajectory.

I'm sure there are plenty of analogies, like musicians who play by ear, or kids who skip crawling and just start walking, or mathematicians who can't balance checkbooks, etc.

Irena #170370 10/06/13 12:01 PM
    22B Offline
    The DIBELS nonsense words are nothing like what HowlerKarma suggests. All the words have either CVC form, e.g. YOF WUB ZUC, or VC form, e.g. AJ EP IG. The test has 50 words (143 letters) and you read what you can in 1 minute. The nature of the test is clearly explained by the tester. Grade 2.1 is the last time it is administered.

Irena #170371 10/06/13 12:04 PM
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    22B - Do you think I should be concerned? He read fluently to me for about a half an hour today at a DRA level of about 40 ... I am just not sure what to think

Last edited by Irena; 10/06/13 12:05 PM.
    Zen Scanner #170374 10/06/13 12:13 PM
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Originally Posted by Zen Scanner
    I think it goes to show the specific visual challenges. All the challenge areas would be realistic measures for children who learned to read by being trained on phonemes. Our visually challenged, whole word, self-taught readers don't do so well on nonsense words and exact word reading. As those skills don't map to their developmental trajectory.

I'm sure there are plenty of analogies, like musicians who play by ear, or kids who skip crawling and just start walking, or mathematicians who can't balance checkbooks, etc.

The neuropsych said that "his visual sequencing weaknesses make it difficult for him to decode words accurately" she advised me it's no problem to encourage sight word memorization and for him "to memorize the configuration of the word... as that's what he is doing anyway." This makes me uncomfortable because I am phonics girl (Catholic school and all), I emphasize phonics with him at but I guess he just learns differently.

Last edited by Irena; 10/06/13 12:17 PM.
    blackcat #170375 10/06/13 12:14 PM
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Originally Posted by blackcat
    I'm surprised they are still doing nonsense words in second grade. Where I worked, they stopped in the middle of first grade, once kids started to actually read fluently. Nonsense words are confusing and I don't think you should make much of them. I tried to give my kids a nonsense words assessment once and DD thought she was supposed to individually sound out every letter rather than say whole words, so she scored low.

Oh good... this is good to know. Thanks!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM