Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 243 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #150800 03/14/13 06:40 AM
    B
    BSM Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    I've posted previously on DS9 with his emotional / behavioral issues. Met with the psychologist who analyzed him yesterday, and finally received a diagnosis.

He has a very high IQ - mid 140's. However, he is extremely single minded, focuses almost entirely on the details of a task and misses the big picture. Thus, he is very good at academic tasks, such as memorizing, math, etc. But, his ability to deal with unexpected outcomes, think flexibly, and see the forest to the trees is limited. No ADHD or autism spectrum issues though.

This would tend to explain his outbursts and how easily he gets upset when an event does not go his way. It also explains his problems with transitions.

Further, the psychologist diagnosed him with mild depression due to his low self-esteem, as well as anxiety. The anxiety diagnosis is the one we're going to use with the school to get them to accommodate his needs.

Things are starting to fall into place now. DS9 is gifted even among gifted kids. And his classmates, even the other kids in the gifted program, are a somewhat homogeneous group. They are all into sports and he is not. So, he doesn't fit in at all and probably believes that it is his fault.

I realize that this is the first step of a long process, but I'm feeling a little better now that we have something concrete to take to the school to show them that he's not just "a difficult child."

BSM #150803 03/14/13 06:48 AM
    U
    U
    Interesting; my DD, with somewhat similar issues, also has a depression/anxiety diagnosis. How confident do you feel that it is correct? I am a little unsure that depression and anxiety are adequate to explain my DD's behavioral issues (mainly inappropriate anger, desire to control).

BSM #150805 03/14/13 06:53 AM
    B
    BSM Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    I was not surprised at all with the diagnosis. It is pretty clear my kid has anxiety, as the suggestion of any new experience is enough to set him off. The depression was a bit more of a surprise, but given his inability to make friends this year, fits quite well.

Sometimes anxiety presents as the need to control -- i.e., a perceived lack of control causes the anxiety.

Last edited by BSM; 03/14/13 06:53 AM.
    BSM #150813 03/14/13 07:15 AM
    K
    K
    BSM,

You must feel so relieved to have more information to work with. Good for you for being such a great advocate!

BSM #150819 03/14/13 08:20 AM
    U
    U
    My DD loves new experiences, but has a high "need to know" about...everything (what's that sound? what are you talking about over there? what do they mean when they say XYZ on the radio about the dangers of 123?), which is where I can see the anxiety.

BSM #150822 03/14/13 08:49 AM
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by BSM
    Sometimes anxiety presents as the need to control -- i.e., a perceived lack of control causes the anxiety.

My DS has an anxiety diagnosis and has this. It can get really bad depending how stressed he is. Like when his vision disorder was undetected and his hypotonia wasn't being properly accommodated he had control issues of color of ink and color of cups, having his picture taken, being "forced" to sing certain songs, say the Pledge, etc. As his vision and hypotonia were addressed and accommodated - almost all of that fell away.

Originally Posted by ultramarina
    My DD loves new experiences, but has a high "need to know" about...everything (what's that sound? what are you talking about over there? what do they mean when they say XYZ on the radio about the dangers of 123?), which is where I can see the anxiety.

My DS has this too. It was the school psych and the principal who pointed this out actually (they're not all bad LOL)... It's in his IEp and at the IEP meeting that is the one thing that is very constructive that happens - that is, that they discuss how all of the teachers and aids need to know how to approach this sort of thing with DS because some see the insistent "why" as oppositional when it isn't, it is his anxiety. For example (school actually gave this example at the IEP meeting), kids were told to bring their coats with them to art class... My DS started getting all concerned and needing to know "why would we have to do that? - we shouldn't be needing our coats in art class? Something is going on - what is it?" What was going on was there was to be a surprise fire drill and teacher wanted to just say to DS "because we said so that's why" but she knew that would cause a problem and stress him out so even though she couldn't tell him exactly why, she sat down with him and explained as much of the "why" as possible - i.e., how principal gave her this order and since we do trust Mr. Principal... etc ... He is fine with the surprise fire drill (or any transition at all or any new experiences) because he knows the why behind them... it's when he doesn't know the "why" behind something he starts getting anxious and gets really anxious when he is "punished" for asking "why" with responses like "because I said so!" he really starts getting upset then!

Last edited by marytheres; 03/14/13 09:33 AM.
    BSM #150827 03/14/13 09:17 AM
    U
    U
    Oh wow--that is a PERFECT example of something that would really stress DD out. And yes, she would ask why why why but why but why?, and some teachers would see it as oppositional/obnoxious.

You make me think about having an IEP for her (we do not have one; school behavior isn't much of an issue, but she does present as high-strung, and occasionally gets in trouble for "disrespect" that is really more like the above).

I
    I
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    Oh wow--that is a PERFECT example of something that would really stress DD out. And yes, she would ask why why why but why but why?, and some teachers would see it as oppositional/obnoxious.

You make me think about having an IEP for her (we do not have one; school behavior isn't much of an issue, but she does present as high-strung, and occasionally gets in trouble for "disrespect" that is really more like the above).

My son would get into trouble for it a lot! Especially when he was in full breakdown mode last year! Now of course he's better over all but he still has the "need to know" thing and it is still relatively intense... The only time we have trouble now is with substitutes and administrator-type people who are not familiar with the IEP. Also, the principal is very careful with teacher placement for him because of it - basically DS can't be put with some inflexible old-school type teacher who goes by "because I said so." If you need the specific wording for an IEP or 504 I can put it here for you...

Last edited by marytheres; 03/14/13 09:34 AM.
    BSM #150869 03/14/13 11:54 AM
    E
    E
    I'm glad you got the diagnosis! Did they give him achievement testing as well as IQ? Are you going to apply to DYS?

BSM #150874 03/14/13 12:04 PM
    B
    BSM Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    They did the entire WISC-IV. We do not have the written results yet and only discussed the results verbally.

I don't know much about DYS and haven't had a chance to look into it. I think we may look at local option and enrichment opportunities first, but thanks for the pointer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM