Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 300 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    #148527 02/12/13 11:26 AM
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Those of you who understand and/or have children with ADHD. Can you tell me about automaticity and does ADHD/ ADHD inattentive impair the ability to attain it to a great degree? One thing, I realize my son is severely deficient in developing "automaticity." Like I have said previous posts, he doesn't have the stereotypical impulse issues, focus, distractability stuff, etc. Not even the zoning out so much. Once he is on task he stays even when bored. He does have HUGE automaticity issues and hence executive functioning issues b/c "automatic" stuff like putting your things away in the morning, ordering your lunch, etc.., never happens for him. He doesn't get distracted so much doing it (at least in my opinion) It's just that it never EVER becomes automatic. If I re-tell him the steps every morning he does al the steps fine - but i have to tell the steps EVERY morning. This is a kid with a decently high IQ so it's not a cognitive deficit, right?

Some background info- He has finally been identified as dysgraphic (the connection that dysgraphics never develop the automaticity of writing has not escaped my notice) and has visual processing issues due to a vision disorder. His working memory is also poor.

If this is a significant part of ADHD or ADHD inattentive, I really think my child may have it after all. Of course more motivation to see a neurospsych but still want opinions and thoughts!

Thanks for any help!

ETA: He also has choice difficulties - he has a terrible time choosing what he wants for lunch and his books for reading.

Last edited by marytheres; 02/12/13 11:36 AM.
    Irena #148532 02/12/13 11:52 AM

That's a neat way of pointing out one of my major problems.

I lack automaticity!

I solved the choice problem by making arbitrary choices. It's best to make some sort of decision rather than making no decision at all.

Granted, it cost me $120,000 in debt for tuition...but still, it was a decision.

Irena #148534 02/12/13 12:08 PM
    Z
    Z
    Has your son ever had an MRI or worked with a neurologist as part of his diagnosis? If not, I would ask your pediatrician if there might not be a central issue that could lead to hypotonia, eye control, fine motor control, and automaticity issues.

Irena #148535 02/12/13 12:11 PM
    P
    P
    I recommend Smart but Scattered to start. Others have recommended Late, Lost and Unprepared.

I also suggest getting dry erase magnetic boards and making magnets with the tasks to put in a To Do and Done column. I did this for my DS last year and it really helped him create/follow his routine (although his issue was more distractibility). Instead of saying did you brush your teeth, did you pack your backpack, etc., I could say go do your chart.

Irena #148536 02/12/13 12:26 PM
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Hey Zen, I have worked with neurologists. I took him to the neuromuscular clinic at CHOP and I was hoping they would give him MRI (just cause *I* want to see his brain!) but they didn't think they had reason enough to sedate him and put him through an MRI. And I felt weird pushing for him to go through it.

Irena #148537 02/12/13 12:40 PM
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    LOl so Jon - do you have ADHD? Is that the culprit beghind your major problem?

Irena #148538 02/12/13 12:40 PM
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Deonne - bought the book on Amazon - thanks!

Irena #148542 02/12/13 12:44 PM
    Z
    Z
    I keep thinking there is a strong resemblance to dyslexia. I'm not a medical doctor, but one leading theory in dyslexia points to a cerebellum related root cause. I've also read of cerebullar roots for hypotonia, eye control, fine motor control, and automaticity. It's the sort of concordance that sets off my spidey sense.

Irena #148543 02/12/13 12:56 PM
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Zen, do you think I should go to his neuro-muscular doc and talk to her about that? see if she'll reconsider giving him an MRI? She knew about my suspicions of dyslexia/dysgraphia at the time (he hadn't been diagnosed), she had diagnosed the hypotonia two years ago, and I told her about the vision issue. We actually specifically went because I also though these were all related... She didn't deny that they probably were but she thinks the way he is functioning is so high that the damage is minor and not worth the risks and troubles of sedating for an MRI. I am not big on sedation either ... he's never been. She said "yeah it'd be interesting I am sure there is some minor damage (throw in some terminology) but he's doing great - continue wit the therapies and get the dyslexia/dysgraphia diagnosed so he can get help with that." I am paraphrasing....

Irena #148544 02/12/13 12:57 PM
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    I guess what I am wonderign in terms of ADHD is - is this a big part/symptom of adhd and do adhd meds help with this?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM