Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 305 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    RJH Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I'm trying not to cry as I type this. I took DD5 for an ADHD eval today on the recommendation of her preschool teacher (and others who are familiar with her). She is very impulsive, interrupts constantly, and gets up and walks around her classroom when she feels like it.

The 1st thing the Dr did was refuse to call her by her middle name (the only name she goes by), because I didn't write that down on the sign in sheet. I wrote it on every other piece of paper! But for insurance reasons I always put her 1st name on sign in sheets. I almost walked out of his office right then. mad

He asked me just a few questions, and didn't ask DD anything. And then said "here's a RX for Ritalin, come see me in 3 weeks."

I tried to tell him about her sensory issues. She cried for 45 minutes this morning because she has her 1st loose tooth. She says "I don't like how it feels!" But he didn't want to hear about any of that.

So now I don't know what to do. Try the meds? Get another opinion? If you have tried meds with your child, did it help with impulsiveness, and interrupting? I don't feel like she has any problems with attention. But she is a little hyper, though.

((hugs))

It sounds like you don't feel that the Dr. gave your DD a thorough evaluation or that he answered your questions. I would definitely get a second opinion.

G
    G
    Wow! That's awful. She's only 5? You know, most physicians aren't that schooled in sensory stuff. There are two ways to get help, from my personal experience. One: do it yourself using one of the awesome books out there on it (Sensory Smart Kids, Out of Sync) or Two: find an OT or gym that SPECIALIZES in sensory therapy.

I would also second the second opinion. I am not against meds at all but I am against using meds without looking at the whole child. Some of the ADD behaviors could be caused by the sensory issues, giftedness, and lack of a good enducational environment.

Crisc
    I would definitely get a second opinion. There are some people on here that have kids dignosed with ADHD and being a little impulsive isn't on their list of complaints!

Hopefully some of them will chime in.......?

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    I
    I
    Recommend a second opinion with someone who's read Misdiagnosis and Dual Diagnoses of Gifted Children and Adults: ADHD, bipolar, OCD, Asperger's, depression, and other disorders by James T. Webb, Edward R. Amend, Nadia E. Webb, Jean Goerss, Paul Beljan, F. Richard Olenchak.

Here's an excerpt:
    Many gifted and talented children (and adults) are being mis-diagnosed by psychologists, psychiatrists, pediatricians, and other health care professionals. The most common mis-diagnoses are: Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Oppositional Defiant Disorder (OD), Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), and Mood Disorders such as Cyclothymic Disorder, Dysthymic Disorder, Depression, and Bi-Polar Disorder. These common mis-diagnoses stem from an ignorance among professionals about specific social and emotional characteristics of gifted children which are then mistakenly assumed by these professionals to be signs of pathology.

http://www.sengifted.org/articles_counseling/Webb_MisdiagnosisAndDualDiagnosisOfGiftedChildren.shtml

N
    N
    I don't have much time to type -- just saw your post and wanted to tell you that my DS5 cried for at LEAST 45 min the other day because of a loose tooth too. A combination of not liking the way the root edge felt on his tongue and not wanting to lose his tooth (because that is Change and therefore a Bad Thing). He falls apart like this sometimes, don't know if he's hypersensitive or has an emotional OE or what, but I don't think he can possibly be ADHD because he can sit for half the afternoon working on a single project or reading a book if it's something he's interested in. So ((hugs)) and no specific advice, I just wanted to let you know that your DD is not the only one who has done that. And I don't mean to discount your concern at all. BTW, DS's tooth came out this a.m. and he's totally OK with it, even though he is not buying the Tooth Fairy line at all. lol. Good luck to you -- I'd get a 2nd opinion too.

A
    A
    Definitely get a second opinion. I have had psychiatrists try to do that. I have found that the really good ones will go for a few appointments and then recommend testing (neuropsych, IQ, etc) before jumping to any conclusions.

G
    G
    Well, my son has been diagnosed with AD/HD but I'm not happy with the diagnosis. I've come to believe that AD/HD is really just a collection of behaviors that teachers don't like. There are so many different subtypes that anyone can truly be diagnosed with AD/HD now. Underneath that AD/HD label, there could be sooo many different things going on. Examples are the things listed by crisc: sensory, giftedness and also, immaturity. So, I think what you've really learned here is that your doctor isn't going to help you. That's usually the case, I think. So, you are going to have to get to the bottom of it yourself AND you're going to have to do something right now to make things better.

For right now, I'd try fish oil and 123 Magic (the book) and remove most dairy. I'd also find someone to teach you the wilbarger protocol. Amazing results with impulsivity. None of these things can hurt a normal child but you may get results with one of them.

For long term, I would try to figure out what is triggering her. What excites her and makes her impulsive? It could be a certain type of activity or sensory stimulation. It could be something that just cycles with time. You'll have to put those days on the calender and see what's going on. Also, what's going on with her intelligence and academic needs? Does your daughter suddenly behave when she's learning something interesting?

RJH Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by NCmom
    I don't have much time to type -- just saw your post and wanted to tell you that my DS5 cried for at LEAST 45 min the other day because of a loose tooth too. A combination of not liking the way the root edge felt on his tongue and not wanting to lose his tooth (because that is Change and therefore a Bad Thing). He falls apart like this sometimes, don't know if he's hypersensitive or has an emotional OE or what, but I don't think he can possibly be ADHD because he can sit for half the afternoon working on a single project or reading a book if it's something he's interested in. So ((hugs)) and no specific advice, I just wanted to let you know that your DD is not the only one who has done that. And I don't mean to discount your concern at all. BTW, DS's tooth came out this a.m. and he's totally OK with it, even though he is not buying the Tooth Fairy line at all. lol. Good luck to you -- I'd get a 2nd opinion too.

I'm glad to hear DD is not the only child to freak out over a loose tooth. You would have thought the world was coming to an end, the way she was crying. She asked me in a break between sobs "but HOW does the tooth fairy know?!?" So I don't think she's buying it either. LOL. DD can also sit for hours playing her leapster, and things like that. So I always second guess myself on the ADHD.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM