Hello,

In the 90s, I took an adult Wechsler test from an examiner who gave me a number of personality tests as well as the IQ test to see why I wasn't making progress in therapy. It turned out that I have bipolar 1 disorder which was not diagnosed because I get anxious and irritable rather than euphoric during manic episodes.

The test results were confusing. I scored 119 on the performance and 145 on the verbal. I'm not sure that averaging those makes any sense because they are so different, but I was told I have a global IQ of 136 and that is higher than just a straight average because the verbal section counts more.

The tester didn't have a good explanation for the large difference except to say it happens sometimes. I had a hard time keeping up with the performance sections and started crying because I was so nervous. I've since been told that that shouldn't have affected my scores but it should have been noted in the writeup that my feelings could have affected the test results.

So long story short, I don't know whether the gifted label applies to me or not. I have two sisters and they are both smarter than I am, or gifted in ways I'm not. My parents always said that C. "didn't work up to her potential" and K. "is the smart one." I was the one who worked hard and "outperformed my ability." But I'm not sure comparing myself to other people is helpful.

thanks