Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #241779 03/30/18 11:41 AM
    G
    OP Offline
    G
    Hi I came here because I'm curious if I'm a gifted adult. I have had my IQ tested a few times and each time it turned out to be in the average range. However, I have heard that IQ test are not the best way to measure intelligence. Also I looked up the definition of gifted, which is having a natural talent or aptitude. According to that definition then I am a gifted adult as I have a natural talent for art. I have even been told by my high school art teacher that I have a good sense of perspective and color and should challenge myself to do landscape painting. Despite all of that I dont always feel like I'm gifted.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Welcome!

I would agree that there are many kinds of giftedness, not all of which can be captured on an IQ test. On this forum, we tend to use the term "gifted" in a narrow sense, referring to intellectual or academic giftedness. Many individuals identified in this way also have giftedness in other areas (art, music, athletics, social, etc.), but those other gifts are certainly not restricted to persons with intellectual gifts.

So whether you are or are not an intellectually gifted adult (the kind of gift that can more readily be measured on an IQ test) has little to do with whether you are an artistically gifted person. I would leave aside the results of IQ tests for you specifically, and focus more on the broader concept of giftedness, and, perhaps, the specific evidence of artistic gifts. Regardless of the labels that might be attached to you, you have value and gifts simply by being human, entrusted to you to add unique color, beauty, and joy to the community around you. Labels and even gifts mean very little if they are not used to enrich lives--yours and others'.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    I
    I
    Welcome!

Yes, there are many ways of being gifted; Domains include academic/intellectual, creative, artistic, leadership, physical/athletic. On these forums we talk primarily about academic/intellectual giftedness, but all are welcome to discuss any gifted issue.

Originally Posted by GalaxyDreamer90
    I dont always feel like I'm gifted.
    Hmm... what do you believe feeling gifted is?

- Effortlessness; Work/Learning/Accomplishments coming easily?
    - Competitive advantage; Observing that artwork is generally better than that of others?
    - Acknowledgement; Winning a number of art shows, contests, and competitions?

A paradox is that many gifted individuals are internally motivated and therefore not too interested in external rewards or acknowledgement. Nonetheless, we all need or benefit from acceptance, affirmation, validation.

A common misconception is that gifted is the same as prodigy, but most gifted individuals must work to hone their gifts and talents into noteworthy skills. It appears that your teacher has given you some great tips on your strengths, next steps, and a possible area of focus. Based on your post, you might experiment with a variety of media from watercolor to acrylic to oil, and a variety of landscape themes and painting styles including realistic, fictitious, historical representations, large murals, tiny miniatures, plein air painting, a study of a local landmark in different lighting conditions and different seasons, impressionistic... these are just a few ideas.

Another thought is that many gifted people suffer a degree of imposter syndrome. Here is a link to an article about a book on imposter syndrome.

Enjoy your gifts and talents, and enjoy developing them. smile

S
    S
    I identified as a gifted adult, and was disappointed to end up with an average intelligence. I was later diagnosed with a condition that causes cerebral hypoperfusion. My brain doesn't get enough oxygen to function well. After diagnosis and treatment, I was re-evaluated and am somewhere in the gifted range. I was being evaluated for ADHD, so I didn't do enough subtests for FSIQ. It's still a bit of a mystery. I'm satisfied not knowing. I'm artistically and musically talented, which doesn't translate to IQ testing well. I was in GT in high school.

It used to be a big deal to me, but my interest in my IQ was coming from a place of insecurity - particularly in my marriage. My husband is highly intelligent, and his strengths are math/science which are more valued in our culture. He also has above average income from his intelligence and education. I was muddling along using being a stay-at-home-mom for cover of being unemployed (disabled). But after getting my chronic illness diagnosed, my marriage is better and the insecurity is mostly gone. Without that insecurity, I don't really care so much about labels and don't struggle with the "am I gifted" question.

I do need to be wary about the ways that "creative genius" can be a roadblock. If you're feeling insecure, stuck, or otherwise frustrated, I cannot recommend this book enough. "Unlock Your Creative Genius" by Bernard Golden.

When I feel very stuck and frustrated in life, taking a continuing education class works wonders! Or a college class if it's in the budget. The last class I took was "beginning to intermediate drawing". It was like hours of private instruction with a university art professor .... and cost about $70. Excellent value to get immersed with like-minded people.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM