Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 293 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Included in Hoagies blog hop on relationships, Gail Post's July 1, 2015 article for the "Gifted Challenges" blog discusses Gifted adults and relationships: Ten sources of conflict.

C
    C
    Impatience? Hmm. That might be why I can't stand certain meetings. Get To The Point Already. :-)

I feel fortunate to not have much trouble with most of these, but do relate to the isolation piece. DH and I seem to struggle with finding friends we really connect to, now that so much centers around the kids. We seem to find one or two couples with whom we connect well, then either we relocate or they do.

This explains at least 90% of the conflicts (sometimes fairly strident/high-level) in my decades-long marital relationship-- which is now approaching the longest relationship of my life.

My spouse is truly my other half-- but there are times when he enrages me as nobody else I've ever known. blush

It is also why we've had little luck with traditional marital counseling-- although... it does serve as some sort of bizarre team-building activity, as we leave and compare notes about how wacky or off-target it all was. LOL. We have ZERO trouble "communicating our needs." We have, particularly as a team, truly formidable problem-solving skills, and we value one another's expertise in that regard.

So yeah, our "problems" don't tend to look like those of most couples. Even though we seem to deal with one another in fairly acrimonious ways-- it's often because life itself for us is extremely high-stress and has been for a long time, and we are one another's "safe harbor." We act out toward one another-- because there is no other safety valve. It usually devolves into elevating whatever-it-is into satire and laughter. He makes me laugh like nobody else I've ever known, too. smile

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM