Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 197 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    P
    OP Offline
    P
    I have recently started the ninth grade, and we took the MAP reading test today. My overall score on that section was a 257. I know in general I tend to be more intelligent than my classmates, but when all of the students in my advanced classes compared scores, I was by far the highest. The second highest score was a 240. Should I be worried that even my advanced classes this year won't be challenging enough because they will be catering to a lower level? If so what should I do to make sure I continue learning at a faster pace.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5
    That board is a homeschoolers board for parents to exchange ideas on how to give their kids a rigorous education. That link is a subforum for highschool students or adults who are self educating. I recommend looking at it because it seems those people value education for its own sake and not just as a means to an end.
    Beyond that have you considered academic competitions? Math Olympiads? Spelling Bees? Have you heard of "the art of problem solving"? I believe it's free. I know the alchemus part and the math jams are. http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/School/index.php
    Khan academy is another free online resource for self-educating.
    http://www.khanacademy.org/
    Kudos on seeking out a way to be challenged on your own time.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    Your MAP reading score places you at the 98th percentile for reading in your grade overall, including all the non-advanced students in the norming sample; the next highest score in your advanced class was at the 86th percentile. I wouldn't be concerned just over those types of scores, no-- your score is not so "out there" that you'd definitely be unable to be accommodated in a regular classroom, and the next highest scoring student is probably a good reader as well.

In addition, reading is certainly an important learning-enabling skill in a school setting, but high reading ability doesn't mean you can't be challenged by the material in your classes. It just means that you'll have an easier time comprehending written material about each subject.

That doesn't mean you don't deserve more than you're slated to get this year. What's the basis of your feeling that you're more intelligent than your classmates? Is it in-class performance? There might be some of your classmates who are bright too, but don't volunteer answers as often. But do you very often know material before it's taught? Do you get perfect scores without effort or needing to study outside of class? If your answers to these sorts of questions are affirmative, is there some way to ask for more advanced placement this year?

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    P
    OP Offline
    P
    My scores are not way "out there" for sure. As far as why I feel I'm more intelligent than my classmates, I never study I feel like most of my classes are things that most kids should know, but I'm constantly surprised they don't. All of it is mostly review for me. I go to a fairly highly rated public school district. I currently participate in Math Team, Scholastic Bowl, Spelling Bee, and Speech. Unfortunately my school has basically told me there is nothing more I can do. I'm a ninth grader so they can't place me in a higher English level. I just feel like some of my classes are a joke. My geography class had to take a test on the placement of the states and the capitals. My parents taught me those things when I was three, but other students had a hard time. Last year they allowed me to take Spanish even though it wasnt offered for eigth graders. (I ended up with the highest grade of the class, but this did require a little studying because I had to miss about 2 weeks of class.) Is there any other way you know of that I could make my high school consider allowing me to just skip classes in exchange for a more advanced level?

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM