Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #80508 07/15/10 08:23 PM
    OP Offline
    I lifted this quote from another thread because it's a different topic:
    Originally Posted by PoppaRex
    I�ll give you one last thought to mull over. There was a period of time where I spent time with kids who were institutionalized as mentally ill. These kids were not all druggies or sociopaths. Some were kids from messed up homes with lousy parents. Some of them were absolutely brilliant and nearly all of them broke my heart. One thing that stuck with me was how even in such a dismal place (we are not as much out of the 1800�s as we may think) some of these kids still hung onto the hope of finishing school and making something out of themselves. They couldn�t deal with the day to day stresses, couldn�t understand what was happening, couldn�t make a decision for themselves yet they hung onto that ideal. I think part of me knows that mine and yours will end up OK and you and I really didn�t have it as bad as we like to portray. Yes, it�s my humble opinion that we owe it to ALL kids to build a system that allows them to reach their potential. I kind of like that thought.
    As staff or as a patient PoppaRex? :p just kidding. Reading this post is really the main reason I signed up to this forum rather than continuing just to lurk. Those poor kids and all the homeless teenagers and shuffled around foster kids. Do you think there's something that we can do to advocate for EPGY or that other online one to set up a subsystem for them? Life's already pulled the rug out from under them, but every town has a library with free Internet access. This could actually make the world a better place in a meaningful way. There's no insurance liability for the school because the kids won't physically be there. It would give them a chance to fight for the future that was stolen from them. This issue is dear to my heart, so if you can think of a way we can help facilitate bringing this about let me know. Thanks.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    La Texican #80530 07/16/10 01:17 PM
    P
    P
    As staff or as a patient PoppaRex? :p
    There but for the grace of God go I� Sometimes when you get immersed in emotionally draining situations the lines get blurred!

I am not sure throwing technology at the especially downtrodden would make much of a difference. I think at that stage they really need individualized attention, advocates and certainly lots of love. We had a foster child for 3 years and while she went from struggling to get a �C� to getting straight �As� by time she left - it was through sheer time spent at the kitchen table. Literally it took 3-4 hours a night for the full 3 years to get her where she needed to be. I can�t say a computer would have been welcome as it would have been a distraction.

But what you bring up is really something that I am trying to wrap my head around and discussed somewhat in the CBT thread. We, as a nation, built the interstate highway system that opened this country to become much of what it is today. It seems building a national educational system would do the same. Imagine any child able to access any level of education from wherever they are! Whether they get online from school or from home if homeschooled, or through the library in cases like you describe� well, it just makes sense to me.

PoppaRex #80539 07/16/10 03:56 PM
    OP Offline
    I mean, you're right. It wouldn't help a large percentage of that population. Only the gifted kids which is the top 2% or 5% or whatever that EPGY serves. And of those it would only serve the (crap, what's that buzzword for the productive ones?), the ones that like you say keep trying even as the world crumbles around them. Which is a tiny, tiny population, even in the gifted world. I know one old hippy and some kids she knew whose futures could have been saved by this idea.
    But here's an inspirational link to what those poor New Oreleans kids are doing about educational inequity. �And they're still just in middle school!
    �http://www.therethinkers.com/city-wide-groups/
    Supposedly they got togeather after being temporarily relocated after Katrina and for the first time saw public school bathrooms that were clean and had toilet paper.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM