Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    This has bothered me for a while.

My son is 6. He is a second grader in a gifted class. He is doing 5th grade math in another gifted class. In his homeroom, he is the youngest, but that is just up to one year difference, and because he is also the tallest, his classmates thought he was older until his 6th birthday. However, in his math class, his classmates are 2-4 years older than him and his height is average among them.

He is turning 7. I was thinking whether we�d celebrate with his math classmates. Or should we not let them know because although I have no idea what their reactions would be, I do have concerns that they may not treat him equally after knowing he is much younger than what his height and intelligence indicate.

What bothers me more now is when I think about the future. At his pace - he is good at thinking the math nature not just mastering the algorithms so he progresses pretty steadily, he will advance at least two more grade levels by the end of the school year, more likely three more levels, and probably at grade 9th (at least 8th) at the beginning of the next school year, third grade. There will definitely be more types of concerns.

I am keen to know if anyone had similar experiences or could share some insights based on your experiences.

FYI, my son is Chinese American. This may add to the complications of the situation because of the additional cultural differences that I am not aware of. My experience in the US is more on doing my graduate degree and working here, so I have growing but limited understanding of the cultural aspects especially those related to raising children. However, I think even without the cultural differences posed by parents, it would already be challenging to cope with the social and emotional situations with a child several years more advanced intellectually.

Another FYI, I know it is not uncommon on this forum for a 6 yo child to be at 5th grade level math, but for our situation, my son had not been exposed to higher level math until about a month and a half ago, when I learned about Davidson programs and got to learn my son was bored at school by asking him. He said everything was easy and easier and he was bored. Before this, I thought it was a gifted program with gifted kids, he must be having fun. Now I know gifted kids also have different levels of abilities.

I also wanted to do something yesterday when my son said �not much� in response to a cashier�s question �have you learned a lot at school today� when we checked out at Trader Joe�s. But this is a btw and another problem, sorry for distracting you from the main topic.

I
    I
    Welcome, snowleopardsmom!
    smile

Originally Posted by snowleopardsmom
    ... his classmates are 2-4 years older than him ... he will advance at least two more grade levels by the end of the school year, more likely three more levels, and probably at grade 9th (at least 8th) at the beginning of the next school year, third grade. There will definitely be more types of concerns.

I am keen to know if anyone had similar experiences or could share some insights based on your experiences.
    As the forum has been a bit quiet recently, I will post this roundup of earlier discussion threads on acceleration (both pro and con), as it may be of interest to see what prior members thought, throughout the years. http://giftedissues.davidsongifted....ration_Roundup_grade_ski.html#Post248163

Hopefully other current forum members will have recent experiences to share.

S
    OP Offline
    S
    Thank you indigo!

Hope more parents can join the discussion on this. Handling social-emotional development is terra nova for me. I guess I need to handle my own too during this process.:)

btw, His new classmates like him. He said they were nicer than his previous level math class. On the first day, three of his classmates told me he got every question correctly and the fastest. They said, before he joined, they thought another kid was the best and now he was. smile Regardless of whether he was really that good, I think at least they like him.

Also, he wore a birthday badge on his birthday with a 7 written on it and shared cakes with over 100 kids - homeroom, two math classrooms, and an after-school club that has over 70 kids of his grade level or similar. I spent over $200 on buying cakes (big cakes and cupcakes) for them. Some kids asked me whether they could have a second piece. Others asked me whether I would bring some the next day.:D

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM