Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    D
    OP Offline
    D
    I'm hoping there's some people who've experienced what's being recommended for my DS and have some words of wisdom. Last year in 4th grade, he completed 5th grade math. He's been taught at one grade level above in math since 3rd grade (not at all unusual at his school). In evaluating his ERB results, the school has finally gathered that he's not being challenged in math. They're recommending he join the 7th grade Algebra A class (this will where they offer Algebra 1 over two years of middle school so they can go at a slower pace).

There is no doubt he is strong in math and he has consistently been frustrated with the pace of his math classes. The ERB results showed 99% through pre-algebra concepts which is why they're making the recommendation.

I am really concerned that this is a huge leap - surely there will be some gaps from skipping 6th grade math and Prealgebra? Has anyone done it? Where did you find the biggest problem areas. The school uses Saxon if that makes any difference.

I'm also concerned about the age gap. DS is only 9 (he's the youngest in 5th grade - I'm having a hard time picturing him with 7th graders).

D
    OP Offline
    D
    Thanks so much for responding. He's a big kid, so I doubt he'll really stick out that much. His best friend is actually almost two years older, so in general he's fine with older kids. But on the downside, he's definitely a kid who is slow to warm up to new situations/people and is pretty hard on himself if he's wrong.

I agree with you on the two years for Algebra. I'm wondering how much review there is - it might actually help give me some comfort that he won't have any gaps. I've found in general Saxon has tons of review which drives him crazy, but in this case may be actually helpful.

He definitely ready for more - if it was a single skip, I don't think I'd hesitate. I would just hate to finally have him challenged, and have it be too much of a leap and frustrating in the opposite way!

Z
    Z
    Despite many assertions you may see, math knowledge can flow backwards and forwards, it isn't all a carefully stacked tower. Particularly true when you are looking at entering new branches like algebra or geometry, etc. If he is a self-motivated math learner, he'd back populate in any of the miniscule gaps.

With some chance that the instruction is slow, I'd suggest reading this article about Problems and Exercises and make sure the school isn't just supplying exercises: http://www.epsiloncamp.org/faq/faq_1.php

In a similar vein, it may be a good chance for him to connect with (if there are any) middle school teachers and students who are involved in math competitions.

P
    P
    My concern would be the makeup of the 2-year Algebra class - students and curriculum. Is it an honors class that combines Pre-algebra and algebra for top performing math students, or is it a class tha purposely strings out Algebra 1 so that not-so-apt math students ease into Algebra? Or is it the Algebra that most students take?

If your ds has been frustrated with the pace of his math classes, I'd be hesitant to simply skip a year and put him straight into another math clas that is either taught at the usual rate or a slower pace. Ideally it would be good to be able to offer him compacted math that he can pace through at his rate. Our ds is subject accelerated in math but it's handled then placing him in a classroom of higher grade level students who are on track with math and he is at teems very frustrated with the repetition and pace of the work.

Best wishes,

polarbear

22B Offline
    This doesn't really make sense. He'd be covering 3 years material (6th, pre-alg, Alg I) in 2 years by skipping the first two (6th, pre-alg), and then doing the third (Alg I) stretched out over two years.

Instead it would make more sense to compact 6th and pre-alg into the first year and the Alg I in the second (single) year. This would get to the same end point in the same time.

On the other hand, if he can handle the jump to Alg I, then why not do it in one year?

D
    OP Offline
    D
    Great questions. This is a small private school that is pretty rigorous. I feel that they have some difficulty differentiating in math and the small size definitely factors into it. It is the policy of this school to separate Algebra into two years for the majority of students. All 6th Graders take PreAlgebra - although there are two tracks, honors and regular. Most 7th graders take Algebra A in 7th and B in 8th and go into Geometry in 9th grade. A small percentage of 7th graders take full year Algebra in 7th and Full year Geometry in 8th. And a very small percentage of students take another year of PreAlgebra.

I actually pulled my daughter out in 6th as she was ready for full year Algebra and they couldn't accommodate it - mostly scheduling wise as opposed to philosophically.

I had anticipated him skipping 6th grade math and taking PreAlgebra this year to be ready to take Algebra as a 6th Grader. I still wonder if that's a better idea than skipping PreAlgebra and taking two years for Algebra???

Our DD basically did that same skip, but went directly into Honors Algebra 1 and completed it in a year. Here are my thoughts: I wouldn't worry about the holes/gaps, if there even are any (based on his ERB there aren't). DD has some gaps in pre-algebra but understood algebra 1 really well and got high 90s on everything she did. In fact, her use of some of the pre-algebra skills that she was missing to solve algebra questions has improved her overall math ability (it is not her strong suit relative to her other subjects). I would not think that doing the course in 2 years would be a good fit however, the pace will be ridiculously slow and probably not challenging at all. I would push for placement into the 1 year algebra class with the skip of the other stuff. DD's entire attitude towards math changed after seeing that math could be more interesting than the pre-algebra stuff and be more interesting.
    As far as differentiation goes - it is too bad that the teacher doesn't know how to do it better because it is much easier to do with small classes than with large ones.
    Good luck!

C
    C
    Originally Posted by Debbie1996
    I had anticipated him skipping 6th grade math and taking PreAlgebra this year to be ready to take Algebra as a 6th Grader. I still wonder if that's a better idea than skipping PreAlgebra and taking two years for Algebra???
    I don't see how that would be better; surely prealgebra will both start and finish at a lower level than the first year of the offered algebra course will, so you'd be holding him back, looking only one year ahead - and a good challenge next year is a better aim than a good fit the year after, because easier to judge.

If he's fine with the algebra, you might at some point want to argue for him to move sideways into one-year algebra next year. If he isn't going to finish the algebra course in one year, then unless there are extreme cohort issues, algebra over two years seems better than something less than algebra for a year and then algebra for a year, doesn't it?

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    P
    P
    Based on your description, I'd either move him into Pre-algebra, or if you think he needs more, move him into the one year algebra class that 7th graders attend. I'm guessing he'd be bored both with the pace of the two year class and with the level of comprehension of his fellow students in the class. If you're worried about gaps due to missing prealgebra, I'd put him there this year instead of algebra.

I don't know about your schools curriculum, but in our school districtstudents who are skipped ahead in math routinely skip 6th grade level and take prealgebra that year, then algebra the next. Our ds did that, and there was quite a bit of new material in prealgebra.

polarbear

I agree with Polarbear.

Pacing tends to be the elephant in the room any time we look at why a particular placement isn't working for our DD, or is driving us all insane.

So level is one consideration-- but it's far from the ONLY one, and in a lot of instances, it isn't even the most critical one.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM