Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 161 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #133424 07/06/12 06:24 PM
    K
    KJP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    For months now our family has been fretting over the early K decision. I have posted about sensory issues, enrichment, handwriting, discipline, etc. all relating to him going to K after a bad preschool experience. We have a meeting next week the teacher and our OT.

Today I went to observe the K class and had a short chat with the teacher. I am now really optimistic. First, there are only going to be eight kids in his class. One of the eight was there today and seemed to be working on a first grade level. Plus, my son played really well with him at a birthday party recently. She also brought up the idea of doing enrichment in his areas of interest.
    Most surprising was her interest in keyboarding. She was thinking a computer set up with a program that taught keyboarding might be a nice addition to the classroom, especially for the students who struggle with handwriting. She wasn't sure what to get so if anyone has any suggestions, I will pass them on.

It was nice too because several of the aides saw me and came up to say they were happy my son was coming back to their school because they missed him.

It is nice to feel hopeful for a change!

S
    S
    That sounds so great! I can't wait to find out more about our school, in person.

K
    K
    I don't know much about keyboarding programs, but my son (6-years-old) has been using the BBC Home Dance Mat Typing. It's a free, online keyboarding program. He loves it!

His teacher recommended he learn keyboarding because he struggles with his handwriting skills. He would "dumb things down" while writing because it was too much work to make his writing keep up with his brain.

Best of luck!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM