Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 205 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    E
    OP Offline
    E
    How much better is JHU CTY online math vs. Khan Academy? This would be for grade 7, pre-algebra.

Right now my 8 yr old 3rd grader is doing 7th grade math on Khan Academy during class. The district is giving him a JHU CTY placement test. If he places in the 7th grade level they will provide JHU CTY math for him in his class. However, if he places at 6th grade or lower then we are back to square one. Maybe continue with Khan Academy, maybe join the gifted 5-6 class who is using a 6th grade curriculum. Even with Khan, he still has some access to his teacher and I can also mentor him at home.

(P.S. I know there are tons of other options like AOPS etc, but let's stick with just JHU CTY vs. Khan, as that is what our district uses. I don't want to provide his math education from home, as I have been doing for the last three years)

C
    C
    Bump

I am in almost the same exact situation. my 9 yo 3rd grader is doing Kahn Academy at home and Prodigy game during school from time to time. He is getting basically no enrichment and if forced to sit through lessons about 4-5 yrs behind his understanding, which is very frustrating. I would love to get all our ducks in a row for next school year so we can have a real plan for him to accelerate in math. Looking into AoPS for over the summer. I feel like having a grade for the course would lend more credence to our argument.

I
    I
    Bump

Unfortunately the first five posts of new members do not appear instantly but are held for moderation... the timing can cause them to be buried, unseen, among older posts which members may have read and responded to.

I believe there are also some newer member's posts which can currently be found listed under "Active Topics / Unanswered Posts". I mention this in case anyone is feeling especially brainy and/or needs a challenge, therefore is ready to try posting a reply. smile

I am a big AoPS fan but one advantage that I have learned of recently that CTY online classes have (as I was told ) is that the CTY classes are self paced.

I think that the AoPS approach provides depth and breadth that the others classes may not but different strokes for different folks...

Google rusczyk and 'calculus trap' - resonated with meat least.

It isn't a race to be first past the post as much as a treasure hunt where the answers to the clues you find will serve you well for the rest of your days - is the way that I see things now after reading his article.

Become what you are
    I
    I
    It may be worth looking into Stanford's "GiftedAndTalented.com".

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM