Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    E
    E Ross Offline OP
    OP Offline
    E

Hi, I wonder if anyone has had direct experience with detoxing a young gifted child from a negative school experience. Despite testing privately then doing three years of advocacy with two different schools in our public board, no accommodations were made and now our dd7 refuses not only to attend her current school but also acts out when we attend private school open houses or, frankly, any other classroom-based activity, even if it's the type of academic enrichment she enjoys at home. You can just see her shut down as she enters any school-like situation, and her verbal attitude towards teacher figures is becoming horrendous. Just total defense mode.

Ideally we'd like to try one more time to see if we can find a school fit before we make the decision to home school full time, but she has some serious emotional damage at this point. Any advice on how to detox? We currently have an expressive arts therapist on board but other suggestions are welcome, especially from those who have been in our shoes. Thanks.

She's close to my DS's age (he's just turned 8) and I know that 'talking things up' really helps him. We've been talking for a couple of months now about how his dad and I were trying to either find a better school for him, or make his current school better. Now that we are going to visit a charter school, I've been talking to him about it for the past few days. He's excited to go see it.

If that doesn't help her at all, I would see about doing some 'unschooling' for a while. Don't even discuss school for a while. Just let her unwind from it.

~amy
    We had to detox our DD7 from an awful K experience, and in our case the medicine was homeschooling.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM