Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 187 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    T
    OP Offline
    T
    Help me before I have to write all my own worksheets.

My 5 year old DD is a typical visual-spatial kindergartener: likes to be able to color something on the page, likes pictures, likes things presented graphically, can't read and is turned off by blocks of numbers.

We're afterschooling and have been doing second grade things but she's ready to move on to either third or fourth in most areas (measurement, fractions, geometry, patterns and logic, multiplication and division). But we have a huge problem - I can't find anything pre-written that isn't a huge leap in terms of presentation style from the second grade stuff.

She will turn off completely if I try and show her that. So I've been winging it and drawing my own puzzles and games and questions. Which is exhausting and nerve-wracking (I'm not a homeschooler at heart).

I've got a couple of websites with games, and we've read (and loved) all of the Sir Cumference books, and some of the other ones by the same publisher (like A Place For Zero). For area and perimeter we're drawing pictures and tonight she did a fractions sheet I copied from a flashkids workbook and made harder. Shapes and manipulating and measuring them is a big interest at the moment. We do origami and tangrams and I'm about to prepare some tesselation activities. Help!

I'm trying to get the GATE teacher at school to help me, but it's not proving easy.

Last edited by Tallulah; 10/26/10 04:44 PM.
    M
    Mag Offline
    M
    Hi!

Have you tried: http://www.softschools.com/

We have found some useful worksheets from this website. It is free for the most part.

Also, although you mentioned that your DD cannot read, any chance that you or someone can read the problem/question with her? If so and if you allow her to play on the computer, DCs really enjoy:

http://www.mathplayground.com/

There is a whole section of learning math using manipulative.

Good luck!
    Mag

T
    OP Offline
    T
    Oh, they are cool sites, thank you! They're perfect.

M
    M
    do you have an ipod touch? my son is 4.5 and doing 3rd grade math....and we have found the thing he loves to work with the best is the ipod touch. there are so many great educational apps!

momma2many - do you have any recommendations on which apps are good? I'm feeling similar to Tallulah.

K
    Kai Offline
    K
    Take a look at RightStart math. Also, a small white board (rather than worksheets or paper) works wonders for little attitudes.

Q
    Q
    Instead of worksheets, have you tried just showing her the concepts in real life and focusing on mental math? Fractions in your recipes and geometry in household objects? Decimals on your grocery shopping trip? The beauty of elementary school math is that it is so accessible and intuitive and prevalent in every day life. If you were to use the standard pre-written stuff, couldn't you just read it to her and accept her verbal responses?

Just the idea of even a second grade math curriculum (much less third grade) without reading and writing is so foreign in our school district! There has been such a shift towards verbalizing math that even in second grade, the students are required to explain their math answers in words at least some of the time. Even simple arithmetic problems in second grade (and some in first grade) tend to involve reading a couple of sentences even when an explanation is not required in the answer. It seems so wrong to me and likely to preclude many mathematically talented students from participating in the more advanced math programs in the early elementary years.

What about these as a possiblity? Word problems, but just a few per page and lots of bright, friendly, big pictures:
    http://www.flashkids.com/

Also, the series of workbooks for gifted kids that's mentioned in another thread, Math for the Gifted Student, has lots of big, bright pictures:
    http://productsearch.barnesandnoble...gifted+student&flag=False&ugrp=2

Last edited by mnmom23; 02/15/11 12:07 PM.

She thought she could, so she did.
    She might love the supermind magnetic game if she likes the tanagrams.
    What's wrong with plain stencils and pencils? It can always turn into a straight edge and compass when she gets older. When she gets older she can have the book "building stars and polygons" but for now a sacred geometry coloringbook from Michaels is fine. I think kindergarten is a great year to start sorting and wrapping coins you bought from the bank. It's cheaper than the base ten sets because it didn't cost anything, you still have all the money.

Idk if i've a homeschoolers heart or if I'm a latent closet shopaholic who now has a childrens education to blame it on guilt free. This is new.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    T
    OP Offline
    T
    Dead thread bump!

Originally Posted by Quantum2003
    Instead of worksheets, have you tried just showing her the concepts in real life and focusing on mental math? Fractions in your recipes and geometry in household objects? Decimals on your grocery shopping trip? The beauty of elementary school math is that it is so accessible and intuitive and prevalent in every day life. If you were to use the standard pre-written stuff, couldn't you just read it to her and accept her verbal responses?

Just the idea of even a second grade math curriculum (much less third grade) without reading and writing is so foreign in our school district! There has been such a shift towards verbalizing math that even in second grade, the students are required to explain their math answers in words at least some of the time. Even simple arithmetic problems in second grade (and some in first grade) tend to involve reading a couple of sentences even when an explanation is not required in the answer. It seems so wrong to me and likely to preclude many mathematically talented students from participating in the more advanced math programs in the early elementary years.

Good suggestion, this is pretty much what we've been doing. We've got the books I posted about a bit after this, the second grade extension work has been fun written work, a lot of mental math, lots of sit down and draw things or show using manipulatives. I've been super unschooler mother. Of course it means that she's now all over the place wrt level on each topic. So we've started EPGY to make sure any gaps are filled in.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM