Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #238742 06/08/17 12:23 PM
    N
    OP Offline
    N
    Well, he made it. The kid with the craziest school record of top scores and dropping a course to avoid an F, has graduated. It wasn't a given. I was checking the online Gradebook daily right to the big day to be sure something didn't change in the English grade, dropping that required course back down to an F. (Grades weren't all in, DS turned in assignments in a few classes for two days after he got his diploma until the Gradebook closed.)

Thanks to DS finally agreeing to see two tutors in the final 6 weeks, he passed.

With a Science tutor, he brought his AP Bio grade up from F do C, and all his tests went from Ds to As. He got in almost all the assignments...late, but in. The tutor redirected DS' test-taking quirks and basically sat with him and nudged him on the next step in his assignments.

And the English tutor. Oh, my. Every time they met, she called me later to check in, and we talked about giftedness. Finally I came right out and asked her: "You're gifted, aren't you?" Yes, she answered, yes she is. I think that's why they meshed so well, and she got him writing and turning in essays, neither of which he could do before. In fact, after two essays with the tutor he wrote one more ON HIS OWN and turned it in late. The teacher, however, had already said he wouldn't accept it. Mind you, we had had a mini-IEP-and-English meeting where we addressed DS getting those last three essays in. And one of the IEP objectives is to turn in assignments. Grading this one wouldn't raise the grade from D to C, but still it should have been accepted late when other, older work was being accepted from other students in the class. Yes, I objected. No, there was no response, not from caseworker, teacher, or counselor. We are done with the school now, last kid out, so I'm not sure if I should escalate it. What do you think?

On to college orientation! Oh, and filling out the student services form for support at the school. The English tutor has said she'd be happy to tutor long-distance!

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    That is excellent! Your DS (and you!) have certainly earned that diploma! Yay!

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    N
    OP Offline
    N
    Ha ha, DS deserves the diploma. I deserve a week on the beach in Hawaii.

N
    OP Offline
    N
    The saga, and the year, never end.

DS had changed to take APBio pass-fail when he was, in fact, failing. Toward the end when it looked like a C was in the offing, i asked the counselor what my protocol was to switch back, and the counselor replied that a form would be mailed home after Senior Finals.

Well, no form came in the mail, so today I emailed the counselor. The reply was that the Pass-Fail coordinator had sent an email. I had DS check his school email, and there it was, due...3 days ago, on Monday. The same day the Gradebook closed. Up until that day he had a D, so by Monday he got his last stuff in, boosting it to a C. We didn't see the grades till after the deadline.

So I'm sending everything in, hand delivering tomorrow morning, and emailed the caseworker, the director of SpEd, the SPBio teacher, and the counselor (who is already gone for the summer). Aargh.

That week on the beach in Hawaii? Change that to two weeks hiking in the Alps.

P
    P
    So sorry to hear you can't, quite, yet, shut the door on the whole thing with a vast sigh of relief - - - but still cheering that the school year is done, your son came through, and perhaps learned some valuable last-minute lessons about how to accept help and get things done. Will be looking forward to hearing you can say good riddance to the school for good!

Enjoy the Matterhorn smile

B
    B
    YIPEE!!!! Wonderful news. Sorry the last few weeks were so harrying. I haven't been around much. I've been super busy at work. I'm taking today as a day off..

We are done. Graduation was yesterday. Final grades were just put in. He has kept his grades up. My son's problem wasn't graduation is was that he couldn't get ANY D's or F's on his report card or he would be rescinded from his university. Not really a problem but Government ended up as only C+, and my son only turned 1/2 of a big research paper for English in late in early May. Meaning what could have been an A ended up being a B.. and for a while looked like a F, then a C. AP CS was a A+ though... so I think he will do OK in the right courses.

Crossing my fingers my son will have to only do one more writing intensive course. We are waiting on results from a writing test he did in early May. (Should here in the next week or two) There are 3 possible results.. doesn't pass as has to take 3 writing intensive courses. Passes and needs to take two. Or does exceptionally well and tests out of Writing 1 and only has to take one in the fall.

I stick the kid on a plane tonight & won't see him for 2+ months.

Last edited by bluemagic; 06/09/17 03:40 PM.
    N
    OP Offline
    N
    Bluemagic, those last few weeks can be as harrowing as the few years before, can't they. But we made it!

The P/F has just been updated to a C-, but the transcript had already been sent to the college, and the school transcript office is closed for the summer. Addressing THAT issue now, what to do. We will probably have to contact the college and bring the info letter with DS to orientation.

DS was invited to take a particular invitation-only course in game theory, based on his math achievements and placement test. He took the placement test the other day and thinks he did well enough to be in the class, so that's encouraging.

N
    OP Offline
    N
    Ah, the new transcript was sent, to the house and to the college. Yay! Next up: heading to orientation, will find out whether DS made the invite-only math class (I expect so) and talk to Services about things related to the IEP.

DS also had to take a world language placement test. He didn't take Year 5 of his world language this past year due to schedule conflicts and worried that he wouldn't do well; his usage this past year has been limited to hearing "eh, DS, il est l'heure de se lever! Depeches-toi!" And responding sleepily "Ouia Ouia..." But, he did well enough to place in the intermediate level (year 2?). Funny kid, he doesn't read much in English, but says in French his reading comprehension is better than his aural comp rehension. I read a lot in English, but had the opposite experience with French. I wonder if there is something to that?

Q
    Q
    Congratulations to NotherBen's and bluemagic's DSs for reaching the high school graduation milestone and all set to turn the next page on their journey to adulthood!

P
    P
    Congratulations to your ds NB! And I sincerely hope you do get a chance to hike through the Alps someday smile

polarbear

ps - I sent you a pm smile

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM