Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 195 guests, and 32 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    My 4 years old son start reading for a few months, and his teacher said that his reading level is in 2nd grade, I would like to ask how do I know which book is in which reading level? I am thinking to choose some "2nd grade" books for him to read but his understanding of the world is still a 4 years old, so can anyone recommend some books that is suitable for a 4 years old with 2nd grade reading level to read by himself? Thanks a lot.

He loves books about hide and seek, play with friends, sth like that, but not those complicate content in fancy nancy.

and I also want to introduce him sth about magic, hero, peter pan, fairy, is there any short picture story books of these topics?
    As i find most are very long stories that my son doesn't enjoy. Thanks.

I
    I
    Have you seen the thread with crowd-sourced book recommendations for gifted kids age 3-5?

his reading level is in 2nd grade... how do I know which book is in which reading level?
    Lexile levels can be of some help as a general guideline, and Lexile offers a Find-A-Book feature. To find books at a 2nd grade level using the Find-A-Book feature, you could enter that your child is in 2nd grade and finds the books to be just right, then select your child's interests and see the list of recommendations at that level.

Because children vary, parents often pre-read books when selecting them for their children. This provides the added benefit of being able to discuss the book together.

C
    C
    We bought a ton of leveled readers (these come in fiction and non fiction) and really let you fine tune the reading level. They are maybe $4 each and are also available at the library.

L
    L
    My kids loved "Charlie and Lola" and Berenstain Bears series at that age.

M
    M
    Franklin books are meant to be adult read-aloud so reading level is higher but the storyline is very straightforward.

C
    C
    There are ton of "Golden Books" on a variety of topics too. Paul Galdone also has a ton of classic fairy tale stories that are nice to do too.

And don't forget Mo Willems! Elephant and Piggie might be too easy at this point but may be worth looking at.

C
    OP Offline
    C
    Thanks a lot~ Just make an order of the berestain bears books and some golden books, will borrow the others from library, thanks!
    Yup, did read about the reading list as well, but want to ask more specific. Thanks ^^

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM