Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 288 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #47267 05/13/09 06:32 AM
    F
    OP Offline
    F
    I first caught my DS eating his nose prizes when he was 18mos. We had a talk about it and kept reminding him not to do it until the problem seemed to stop.
    Well yesterday I caught my DS now almost 3 hiding in his room comitting this disgusting act!
    How to you stop this, when your child is clever enough to hide it?
    Know of any good books or websites that may teach him the downside of this habbit?

I have a friend that has a 3rd grader that still does this, so I am paranoid that it may never stop.

Doesn't he know that gifted children are supposed to be perfect, not do stuff like this! HeHe

http://www.damninteresting.com/?p=271#more-271

Not that I in any way agree or indulge.

F
    OP Offline
    F
    That article was funny because my reasons for NOT eating them is that they are full of germs and bacteria.

One of the comments posted to that article
    "Sounds to me as if Dr. Bischinger is full of snot."
    LOL

I read somewhere that kids pick their noses because something is irritating them up there, and they don't have the impulse control to get a tissue instead of a finger, which is much more handy (and gross!). It's not that they like the feel of picking so much as they dislike the feeling if they don't. That kind of changed my approach to nose-picking.

I have focused on keeping kleenex boxes all over the place, and even giving a child a few tissues for his pocket. It does seem to help.

If your child is hiding to do it, that may not help. But maybe approaching it less judgementally can help him to come out of hiding. So not the "Ew, gross! Stop that!" that we're all prone to shout out when we see nose-picking. Instead saying calmly, "It looks like something is bothering you. How about a tissue, sweetie?"

Maybe?

Kriston
    We are going the wall-to-wall tissue route, too. Seems to help; Summer is coming so hopefully that will help too! (fewer sniffles, etc)

I
    I
    In addition to the tissue idea, I require hand washing when I see nose-picking and give a calm reminder about spreading germs and colds. It's a work in progress but DD5's starting to see it as less of a hassle to get a tissue than have to go wash her hands.

inky #47318 05/13/09 01:08 PM
    Oh, good point, Inky! Requiring hand-washing is part of my strategy, too. I agree that it helps to make nose-picking more of a hassle then using a tissue. Yes!

Kriston
    If someone else in his world is modeling this behavior, that can be a problem, too.

P.S. never heard the term nose prizes before!

F
    OP Offline
    F
    Thanks for the suggestions! I am going to buy extra tissues and try the handwashing trick. Now if I can only catch him..

P.S. never heard the term nose prizes before!

I was trying to find a less gross way to put it. grin

The funny thing is that my DD is the polar opposite, she gags if every time I make her blow her nose or if she hears someone else doing it.

Floridamama,
    I am so glad to hear of another kid who has issues with blowing their nose. DD6 refuses to do so! It drives us crazy. She would rather sniff and wipe for days than blow. Even when her nose gets all red and raw and hurts she refuses to do anything about it but cry and cry and cry.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM