Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 99 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    E
    OP Offline
    E
    Hi again, all.

I've been working hard to get appropriate math education for my 9 yo 3rd grade son and so far haven't been very successful. Jo Boaler is very much getting in my way. The district math supervisor loves Boaler and thinks everything she says is gold.

Can anyone direct me to research that disproves her theories/recommendations? Or that's directly counter to it? I searched the forum and found some discussion of Boaler, but nothing specifically about research disproving her arguments.

I suspect that even if I de-throne Boaler, there will be resistance to modifying my son's education, but I know I won't get anywhere if I can't find a valid research that argues against her opinions.

Thanks!

I
    I
    In a perfect world, the onus would be on Jo Boaler to prove her theories... rather than use our classrooms full of children as lab rats for her experimentation. Unfortunately (and un-scientifically) Jo Boaler does not appear to provide sources for her theories/claims.

Be that as it may, the following barely begins to scratch the surface, but might help a bit?
    1) Serving Students with Exceptional Promise
    March 9, 2018
    STEM Network Working group
    Originally Posted by Article on NAGC website
    ... a video by Jo Boaler has caused some to question the importance of identifying gifted students. This is a response from the NAGC STEM Network Working Group.
    2) Research That Supports the Need for and Benefits of Gifted Education
    Sally M. Reis
    March 2, 2008
    12-page PDF file, linked from the aforementioned article on the NAGC website.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Look especially at the linked point-by-point document:
    https://problemproblems.wordpress.com/2017/10/17/youcubed-is-sloppy-about-research/

An educator's discussion of logical and research fallacies:
    http://www.sanctuarymedia.com/paper...many-fallacies-of-mathematical-mindsets/

The most prominent piece of academic criticism of Jo Boaler's research, by actual mathematicians. She claims on her Stanford blog that these are mere ad hominem attacks. You decide.
    https://nonpartisaneducation.org/Review/Articles/v8n1.pdf

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    E
    OP Offline
    E
    aeh,

thank you! i actually found the third one, but wasn't sure if it was valid, and quite honestly it didn't make a lot of sense to me. i might need to read it through in parts instead of at once.

that first one is really clear, though. i don't know how much weight it will add to my arguments but it's worth a try.

echofuzz

E
    OP Offline
    E
    indigo,

thank you. i came across both of those today and downloaded them. i'll give them a read tonight.

the math supervisor is big on the NCTM and not so much fond of the NAGC. oddly she's been a gifted teacher and developed math curriculum for gifted classes. i guess she's changed her mind, though.

echofuzz

M
    M
    Boaler's response to the above "paper": https://web.stanford.edu/~joboaler/

Originally Posted by Jo Boaler
    Milgram and Bishop attempted aggressively to identify my research subjects – schools and students that had been promised confidentiality for their protection, consistent with fundamental research study principles. Identifying human research subjects is contrary to university policy and federal law. Yet Bishop contacted numerous school district officials, including principals, and pressured them to disclose whether they were subjects of my study. Among other tactics, he threatened to take legal action against them. Two of the people concerned contacted Stanford University and sent details of Bishop’s communication with them. In letters to Stanford they stated that Bishop had been “unprofessional, demanding, condescending, dishonest” and “verbally aggressive”.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by aeh
    Look especially at the linked point-by-point document:
    https://problemproblems.wordpress.com/2017/10/17/youcubed-is-sloppy-about-research/

An educator's discussion of logical and research fallacies:
    http://www.sanctuarymedia.com/paper...many-fallacies-of-mathematical-mindsets/

The most prominent piece of academic criticism of Jo Boaler's research, by actual mathematicians. She claims on her Stanford blog that these are mere ad hominem attacks. You decide.
    https://nonpartisaneducation.org/Review/Articles/v8n1.pdf
    Thank you, aeh. I will read-and-cogitate. smile

I
    I
    Originally Posted by echofuzz
    ... not so much fond of the NAGC...
    I find that, like most organizations, NAGC can be philosophically inconsistent.

Not to hijack your thread... !

IMO, one of the most objectionable and offensive statements published by NAGC is the denial of the existence of any kids born gifted.
    Are Children Born Gifted?
    No child is born gifted — only with the potential for giftedness
    parents create responsive environments that allow their children to develop their potential to the fullest — that is, to create giftedness
    A few thoughts:
    1. This assertion is dismissive and invalidating. Affrontive.
    2. Some parents may find that they've given birth to an infant who is noticeably advanced, alert, responsive, and remarkably different from other newborn infants, with different needs: "gifted."
    3. 1st item on NAGC's list of Common Characteristics of Gifted Individuals is: Unusual alertness, even in infancy.
    4. Developing a child's potential to the fullest is NOT "creating giftedness."
    5. While all children may have gifts and talents, not all children are "gifted."
    6. A nurturing, responsive environment may begin in utero. The fetus is a sentient being.
    7. Articles on fetal development and intelligence may be found online.
    "Any kind of drug use -- running the gamut from caffeine to heroin -- has the potential to limit the later intellectual development of the unborn child," Shawn K. Acheson, PhD, tells WebMD.

While the evidence is most clear-cut for alcohol, pregnant women should avoid all drugs, says Acheson, an assistant professor of psychology at Western Carolina University in Cullowhee, N.C.

"It's commonsense stuff, but I still see incredibly intelligent pregnant women who should know better continuing to smoke," she says.
    ...the prenatal auditory environment modulates the neural responsiveness of fetuses ...

NOTE: The WayBack Machine (internet archive) is often useful when a website or webpage is NOT FOUND or has been changed and no longer contains the described content.
    Back to the discussion of research contradicting Jo Boaler's assertions...

P
    P
    It should really be "while some children are born gifted the giftedness can be forced underground by teachers and parents who provide non responsive, non stimulating environments stressing complained and achievement testing".

Oh well. The scary thing is the adoration of Jo Boaler has actually improved some aspects of maths education in NZ. Ds11 would have loved them to accept Jo Bowler's ideas on speed drill the year before he was drilled to death one day a week rather than the year after.

Last edited by puffin; 03/06/19 11:02 PM.
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by puffin
    It should really be "while some children are born gifted the giftedness can be forced underground by teachers and parents who provide non responsive, non stimulating environments stressing compliance and achievement testing".
    Well said.
    smile

Originally Posted by puffin
    The scary thing is the adoration of Jo Boaler has actually improved some aspects of maths education in NZ
    speed drill
    Yes, there is good and bad and everything.
    AKA:
    - Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
    - Eat the fish and throw away the bones.
    smile

If anyone has not yet read the content at the links posted upthread by aeh... I highly recommend them.
    smile

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Detracking
    by indigo - 03/16/24 08:23 PM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by lll - 03/07/24 06:51 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by lll - 03/03/24 10:14 AM
    Patents and Trademarks and Rights, oh my...!
    by indigo - 03/02/24 01:03 PM
    529 savings for private high school?
    by lululo4321 - 02/27/24 05:28 PM