Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 197 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #168745 09/23/13 06:25 AM
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/elements/2013/09/youngest-kid-smartest-kid.html
    Youngest Kid, Smartest Kid?
    by MARIA KONNIKOVA
    SEPTEMBER 19, 2013
    The New Yorker

While earlier studies have argued that redshirted children do better both socially and academically—citing data on school evaluations, leadership positions, and test scores—more recent analyses suggest that the opposite may well be the case: the youngest kids, who barely make the age cutoff but are enrolled anyway, ultimately end up on top—not their older classmates. When a group of economists followed Norwegian children born between 1962 and 1988, until the youngest turned eighteen, in 2006, they found that, at age eighteen, children who started school a year later had I.Q. scores that were significantly lower than their younger counterparts. Their earnings also suffered: through age thirty, men who started school later earned less. A separate study, of the entire Swedish population born between 1935 and 1984, came to a similar conclusion: in the course of the life of a typical Swede, starting school later translated to reduced over-all earnings. In a 2008 study at Harvard University, researchers found that, within the U.S., increased rates of redshirting were leading to equally worrisome patterns. The delayed age of entry, the authors argued, resulted in academic stagnation: it decreased completion rates for both high-school and college students, increased the gender gap in graduation rates (men fell behind women), and intensified socioeconomic differences.
    The article has links to the studies it cites.

C
    C
    Given that our son is the youngest second grader in his whole school (we started him just after his five birthday), I am interested in this topic and frustrated by redshirting for children who seem quite capable of handling kindergarten for no other reason than "giving him an extra year" (it always seems to be a him). I'm not talking about cases where the child is notably delayed developmentally. DS has picked up on the age thing and it has been bothering him. He did cheer up when I told him about friends' children in other states who were even younger than him and in second grade, too.

That said, I wonder about some factors in this study... were the children who were sent to school despite just making the cutoff more likely to be smart or mature already? Or, were those who were held back those who suffered even a year later from not being well suited for the sit and drill classroom?

It seems obvious that the 18yo who was held back a year would perform lower than other 18yos on an age-normed test.

Also, I'd say being a literal BMOC is a poor preparation for the working world.

I think it's like asking the question whether kids need more education or more busywork. I guess some people think redshirting builds confidence, but I think education builds skills and that self confidence comes from ability.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    G
    G
    Originally Posted by ConnectingDots
    That said, I wonder about some factors in this study... were the children who were sent to school despite just making the cutoff more likely to be smart or mature already? Or, were those who were held back those who suffered even a year later from not being well suited for the sit and drill classroom?

Our state does testing of school readiness skills for literacy early in kindergarten. I'd love to see a study looking at the readiness by age to test for this exact effect.

My DD was 3rd youngest of 120 kids in her grade at her elementary school. Assuming no redshirting, there should have been 15-20 younger than her. Any time there was even the slightest problem, it was pinned on her age.

Originally Posted by La Texican
    I think it's like asking the question whether kids need more education or more busywork. I guess some people think redshirting builds confidence, but I think education builds skills and that self confidence comes from ability.

Excellent point. Ties in nicely with the "Excessive Homework" issue, really. I mean-- seriously?? Why do 2nd graders need "homework?" Shouldn't they get a broad weekly sort of "parents-and-me" something-or-other and otherwise have time for things like playing and sleeping??

At least-- it used to be that self-esteem and confidence came from mastering challenges. Before we got to a place where everyone needs to be 'supported' to earn straight A's, etc. Now "challenging" means something entirely different. It's a matter of fortitude and stamina. Not competence at more difficult tasks. Heavens no.

Well, I suppose it is a different sort of challenge.

What I can't quite figure out is how this really "levels" anything. Because the kids who can work FASTEST are now the ones at the head of the pack... well, them and the ones with involved (or over-involved) parents, or those with parents proactive enough to identify learning challenges and shield them from the worst of these abuses.

It's only the kids whose parents aren't involved or who have overlooked learning challenges who really wind up behind.

Hmm.

Well, the more things change the more they stay the same. Whaddya know? whistle

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    U
    U
    Or, were those who were held back those who suffered even a year later from not being well suited for the sit and drill classroom?

This has been looked at in a large study. At age 4, kids who would later be redshirted (not known at the time) were assessed and deemed just as academically and socially ready for K as any other child.

I will say that I scanned one of the studies linked in this NYer piece, based on what a commenter said, and the article is misleading. Yes, Swedish adults who entered late earned less eventually--but not due to being poorly educated or having worse jobs. It was just the result of having one less year in the workforce. Big deal.

22B Offline
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    I will say that I scanned one of the studies linked in this NYer piece, based on what a commenter said, and the article is misleading. Yes, Swedish adults who entered late earned less eventually--but not due to being poorly educated or having worse jobs. It was just the result of having one less year in the workforce. Big deal.

Well, losing a year's salary is a big deal.

U
    U
    I mean, I guess, but isn't it kind of obvious that if you start school later, you enter the workforce a year later? This isn't a hidden disadvantage of holding your child back. (OH my GOD, if my child starts school at 6, he will graduate from college at 23!! NO ONE TOLD ME!!!)

D
    D
    Ultra, you're assuming that people have the long view. But IMO, a lot of people just don't...

DeeDee

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM