Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 210 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    OP Offline

L
    L
    Thank you for posting this. The article "Twice Exceptional--An Interview" was good. Like the woman in the article, my 11-year-old son with motor dyspraxia has had to deal with fatigue issues and not wanting to appear different. My son also needs to conserve his energy for the more important things. My daughter and I took him to the Dallas Aquarium recently and he had to stop and rest several times when the leg and foot pain was too much for him. At least the physical therapist that he finally got to see at age 11 understood his pain and told him that what he was feeling was not the "good kind of pain" that people talk about when they do physical exercise, it was more like having a repetitive motion injury and when he started hurting that is when he needed to stop. She thinks the scoliosis is probably causing the problems. He needs to be fitted with orthotics and also do physical therapy. Finally, no more cliche advice from pediatricians who told him it was growing pains and to take Tylenol or Ibuprofin without even looking at how he walked and didn't refer him for physical therapy.

The woman that was interviewed has mild cerebral palsy and some of her issues are similar to my son's, yet she was successful in working around her issues. Pain and fatigue can make kids mentally tired and so many people don't understand this. I have seen this with my son. I can tell from the look in his eyes when he needs a break. My daughter noticed at the aquarium that he was the only kid she saw really reading the information about the animals and who seemed really interested in what he read, but when he started hurting, he quit reading. When he hurts, it slows him down and it takes a lot out of him. I think living with pain and fatigue is almost like a learning disability.

The article also mentions the difficulty in trying to find twice-exceptional peers. I keep looking. I keep hoping. No luck so far.

The one thing I haven't seen is anyone talking about twice exceptional kids living with chronic pain.

OP Offline
    I've been dealing w/ chronic fatigue due to sleep deprivation (both kids waking and insomnia) and chronic anemia and maybe as yet some undiagnosed disorder and I can tell you it plays havoc w/ concentration and attention. I also had pain for a few months and the pain really just sucks the life out of you. I"m so sorry that such a young person has to deal with this. But I hope a breakthrough is on the horizon now that you have someone who gets it.

B
    B
    Thanks so much for sharing this...I have paid for a few webinars through SENG and they have been interesting but $40.00 a pop adds up...I quickly signed up for the next one. Thanks for posting!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM