Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 205 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    U
    OP Offline
    U

C
    C
    Mmm, is there a statistician in the house? Did a competent statistician review this paper, do you think? I'm not one, but it does strike me that it may be important that in a group of Emmy nominees it isn't possible to have been nominated less than 1 time, and in the whole population it isn't possible to have been nominated less than 0 times! In fact, I don't see how on earth anyone could have claimed with a straight face that they'd expect this to be normally distributed, so finding that it isn't doesn't seem noteworthy to me.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    Nevermind the fact that the moment you start talking about Emmy nominees, your entire sample group is outliers. What percentage of SAG cardholders is ever nominated?

E
    E
    DD7 said to us at dinner last month, "Did you know that alamost everyone in the world has more than the average number of legs?" I thought about it for a minute, then agreed that she was right. That article has less insight than she did.

U
    U
    I think it's best to review the actual article (which actually is quite heavy on the stats indeed) before we start taking potshots at the simplistic NPR coverage. I'm distracted at the moment, but I'm not actually grasping the original article that well myself; however, it's definitely occurred to me to wonder why we assume that the bell curve is a constant.

Val Offline
    It's very frustrating to see papers like this getting published. Part of the problem, IMO, is that the reviewers are as clueless as the authors.

This paper on "values affirmation" as a way of raising the GPAs of certain students is risible, yet got published in Science!

E
    E
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    I think it's best to review the actual article (which actually is quite heavy on the stats indeed) before we start taking potshots at the simplistic NPR coverage. I'm distracted at the moment, but I'm not actually grasping the original article that well myself; however, it's definitely occurred to me to wonder why we assume that the bell curve is a constant.

Because the Central Limit Theoren says that for *any* distribution of an underlying variable, for a large enough value of N, a normal distribution will be observed.

C
    C
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    I think it's best to review the actual article (which actually is quite heavy on the stats indeed) before we start taking potshots at the simplistic NPR coverage.
    I won't claim to have read the paper exactly, but I did glance through it before I took the potshot :-)

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    Once you've read the article, the real potshots will begin.

I'll give you a hint: AVN.

Val Offline
    I think my favorite potshot so far is the indirect one by the seven-year-old who observed that most people have more than the average number of legs.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM