Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 264 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    Not exactly "recent" research, but stuff I've been looking at lately. Joan Freeman is well-known in the UK as an expert in giftedness. I've posted before that I have a bad feeling about her personally because of how she appears in the Channel 4 series Child Genius - however, I think my feeling is more of the "she reminds me of someone I didn't like" character than anything more rational, so I'm trying to read her work objectively.

Anyway, her main recent contention is that identifying children as gifted and treating them specially is a very bad thing. (Maybe you are starting to see why I then have misgivings about her participation in the TV series!) The research on which this is based was a longitudinal study starting in 1974 of UK children identified by their parents as gifted. The main paper I've been able to find about this is here:
    http://www.joanfreeman.com/content/JEG%20Giftedness%20In%20the%20Long%20Term%2006.pdf
    It appeared in the Journal for the Education of the Gifted in 2006. First question: what kind of journal is this? Is it a respected peer-reviewed journal? Its web page is here:
    http://journals.prufrock.com/IJP/b/journal-for-the-education-of-the-gifted
    but I couldn't immediately find a list of the members of its editorial board, which was a little surprising.
    Here's an extract from the paper:

The Target group was 70 children aged between five and 14, described as gifted by their parents, almost entirely without testing, all of whom had joined the National Association for Gifted Children (the UK association is made up mostly of parents). Each Target child was matched with two Control children of the same sex, age and socio-economic level, sharing educational experience in the same school class. This careful matching enabled ability to be assessed on the Raven�s Matrices intelligence test raw scores, not the less-accurate percentiles. This group pattern test is non-verbal so that scores are very much less affected by home and school educational effects, and so is internationally widely used as a �culture free� test.
    The First Control group was measured as of identical ability as the Target identified gifted children, though not labelled as such.

More questions, not addressed in the paper:
    - isn't it nothing short of astonishing that it was possible to find such First Controls for the gifted children? (Identical Raven's score, same sex and SE class, and members of the same school class - a school class at that time would have been about 30 children.) Were there large numbers of gifted children who were excluded from the study because no control was available? If so, what about the way that biases the sample? If not, why not?

More info: once we have a target group of 70 children and a first and second control for each child, that's 210. She writes:
    Of the whole sample, 170 children were at the 99th percentile of the Raven�s Matrices. Stanford-Binet IQs ranged from the 46 children with less than IQ120 to 18 children with above IQ160; 13 reached the Stanford-Binet test ceiling of 170 IQ.
    Now the Second Controls were *not* supposed to be gifted - so the number of children who were at the 99th percentile of Raven's Matrices includes, apparently, all the gifted children, all the First Controls, *and* 30 of the Second Controls. (Or not all the first two groups and more of the last, of course). Huh? Maybe "the sample" is actually supposed to include all the classmates of all the 70 identified children? Even so, that would only be 2000-odd children, so 170 at the 99th percentile is still weird.

The rest of the paper I won't quote, but it amounts to that the labelled gifted children had more emotional problems and were no more successful than the First Controls, and it is clearly Freeman's belief that this is because of the labelling, although she refrains from stating this baldly. She does not seem to have researched the parents' reasons for identifying their children as gifted. Correlation is not causation! One has to wonder whether those parents were seeking help because they saw emotional problems in their children, so that the observed emotional problems were the reason for the labelling, not the other way round.

What surprises me - I'm an academic myself, though not in this field - is that issues like this would not be picked up by the referees of the paper, and explanations inserted before publication. I'd be very interested to know from those of you who are active in gifted research and/or have been reading it like me, how this work is regarded or what you think of it. Am I missing a more rigorous presentation of the same study somewhere? (I know she's written books, but those do not undergo peer review at all, so I'm less interested.)

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    D
    D
    I came across this study earlier in the summer. My initial reaction was that this is an odd paper for someone who enjoys taking the labeling & special treatment of gifted children to the extreme.

Being offended is a natural consequence of leaving the house. - Fran Lebowitz
    I
    I
    Thank you for posting the information and you bring up many good questions. I'm also astonished by the numbers for the study.

Did you see the Vita for the current editor?
    www.bsu.edu/edpsych/media/pdf/tracy-cross-vita-02.05.07.pdf

Some of the points in the paper reminded me of Carol Dweck's research on growth vs. fixed mindset which I find more useful. http://www.dukegiftedletter.com/articles/vol8no3_feature.html

My thoughts on the study:
    1) A label of gifted doesn't necessarily guarantee success later in life.

2) I think there may be a selection bias in the study, because the Target group was kids who were identified by their parents as gifted. Maybe a percentage of the kids were not gifted (say, as defined by objective measures), and the label of gifted was something these kids could never live up to. I'd like to see the study repeated with kids identified as gifted by tests, perhaps multiple tests, to assure the validity of the Target group.

3) Maybe there is a message to us as parents that labelling kids doesn't really help them. There are parallels to Dweck's work as Inky noted - not labelling the ability, but rather praising the effort.

Maybe we could add to the body of knowledge someday by enrolling our DC in a cohort study. How many kids are represented on this board? A few thousand? More?

From the first page of the pdf:

Better predictive factors were hard work, emotional support and a positive, open personal outlook.

There you go.

I can see her point about labelling. I think a better approach is to say "These kids learn much faster and in order to foster a good work ethic and a positive approach to life, we need to take this difference seriously and do X thus making them work hard and thus develop the emotional results from that."

I am reading the whole paper. Gross' results are mischaracterized.

In Australia, for 20 years Gross (2004) has followed up 10 boys and five girls originally aged 11 to 13, chosen because their Stanford-Binet IQs were more than 160. In general, she found the youngsters to have low self-esteem, �moderate to severe levels of depression�, not to mention �loneliness, social isolation and bitter unhappiness�

!!

The long parental interviews in their own homes disclosed that the labelled gifted children with emotional difficulties had significantly (p<1%) more problematic domestic circumstances, such as parental divorce or experiences which would disturb most children.

One cannot imply that the distinctly higher level of emotional and behavioural problems measured in these labelled gifted children were caused by their parent�s pressure on them. One can only report that this in-depth investigation discovered significantly more disturbing features in the home lives of the more problematic gifted children when compared with those of the non-disturbed equally gifted children. Using both the Stamford-Binet IQ and the Raven�s scores along with the rated data from the interviewing it was possible to see that it was not intelligence as such that caused these disturbances, but other matters in the children�s lives, (e.g. divorce, moving home frequently), and parental attitudes to their children�s upbringing (e.g. TV, homework, punishment, parental behaviour and beliefs). When asked why they had joined the NAGC (UK) for their children, most parents cited the children�s problems as typical of giftedness. The gifts often got the blame. Fortunately, as the children grew up and became more independent, most of these problems disappeared,

Sometimes far too much of the gifted young people�s energy had gone into fighting their school regimes and their teachers, supposedly there to help them. Too many had dissipated their time and energies into wrong channels because of poor educational guidance. At times, the youngsters told me that they knew exactly what they wanted to do, but were thwarted by reasons of school time-table or teacher opinion, and went into areas for which they were less well suited. One girl at a high-powered school, for example, was told that biology was not for her. Defying the school�s advice, she secretly entered a competition with her own biological research and won. Only then did the school recognise her potential and permit her to study in the subject area of her choice. She is now a research pharmacist.

C
    OP Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by inky
    Thank you for posting the information and you bring up many good questions. I'm also astonished by the numbers for the study.

Did you see the Vita for the current editor?
    www.bsu.edu/edpsych/media/pdf/tracy-cross-vita-02.05.07.pdf

Some of the points in the paper reminded me of Carol Dweck's research on growth vs. fixed mindset which I find more useful. http://www.dukegiftedletter.com/articles/vol8no3_feature.html
    I hadn't seen her CV, no. Looks good, but it takes more than one editor to make a journal! (In my field a journal normally has a couple of dozen members of the editorial board. A submitted paper is assigned by the editor in chief to a member of the board. The member picks referees for the paper, synthesises their opinions, and recommends acceptance/rejection or revision of the paper. It's a lot of work, even for a board member. No way can one editor do that job for all submissions.)

Carol Dweck has some very interesting papers on her web page:
    https://www.stanford.edu/dept/psychology/cgi-bin/drupalm/cdweck
    Thanks for pointing to her - I'd heard the name but not looked closely.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by twomoose
    I think there may be a selection bias in the study, because the Target group was kids who were identified by their parents as gifted. Maybe a percentage of the kids were not gifted (say, as defined by objective measures), and the label of gifted was something these kids could never live up to. I'd like to see the study repeated with kids identified as gifted by tests, perhaps multiple tests, to assure the validity of the Target group.
    That was my thought as well. The quote in the OP stated that these kids were ided as gifted primarily without any testing to support that contention. I do believe that there can be some harm to making assumptions that are not supported with data and kids who aren't gifted, but are being pressured to be high achievers b/c their parents have a need for them to be gifted for whatever reason, are likely to suffer some emotional fall out.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM