Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 205 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #48575 06/01/09 12:29 PM
    T
    OP Offline
    T
    Ok this is prob way out there but anyone else just come off the pill and get pregnant quick and that child was HG?
    I always wondered if this might be a factor , you know maybe a good egg dropped LOL!

Lol! No, we did not experience that, but I just wanted to say I definitely did a real double-take when I read this! smile

I could see the typical 'robust' health of a GT people helping things along when coming off the pill.
    (I have seen on study of hormones levels in GT men, but none for women. Probably someone is doing one...)

As an aside, I will say the 'patch' made me feel like never having sex, and, as that was definitely not what I was interested in, it was pretty short-lived trial for me wink

I laugh when I saw this, Yes! My DH and I had been married for almost a year on his birthday we went out to dinner and talked about if we were going to have any kids together and decided yes. that was mid March I went off the pill and before my birthday in the first week of May I knew I was pregnant smile I thought I was going to have about a year before getting pregnant, I was 38 and was thinking it would take a while because of my age! wrong!

Last edited by Skylersmommy; 06/01/09 02:49 PM.
    No, but I did read a long time ago that a child born to a woman 40 and over has a higher probability of having a higher IQ. Of course there's also the higher probability of having a child with Downs Syndrome. I haven't read anything lately about that first claim, but it's well known about the second claim.

Last edited by OHGrandma; 06/01/09 03:17 PM.
    And I thought that this thread was going to be about already having a gifted child being a form of birth control protecting against future siblings!

Sorry - 6 months for us. But due to my Intensity issues, the 6 months felt like 3 years!

LOL
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    And I thought that this thread was going to be about already having a gifted child being a form of birth control protecting against future siblings!
    Grinity

LOL Grinity, didn't work for us the next one came 19 months later. smile

OK too funny and I will answer the question but also tie something else in that I heard on tv while I was pregnant.

I definitely was not on birth control and we had major problems and were told that the chance of us getting pregnant was minimal. DD was our miracle baby.

Now for what I heard on one of the morning shows. They were going through a lot of true/false statements such as children from single parent homes are more likely to fail in school.... false, etc. Children born to a mother 35 + in age are more likely to be intelligent ... true. They don't know why it is true. It might be the older eggs are the best eggs or mothers 35+ tend to wait to have children after starting a career and usually have some form of college. I think it is the 2nd option ... but anyway ... I laughed and told my DH about the true/false game and get ready we are going to have an intelligent child since I would have just turned 36 when we had our DD. Little did I know just how intelligent she would be.

S
    S
    Originally Posted by Katelyn'sM om
    Children born to a mother 35 + in age are more likely to be intelligent ... true. They don't know why it is true. It might be the older eggs are the best eggs or mothers 35+ tend to wait to have children after starting a career and usually have some form of college. I think it is the 2nd option ... but anyway ... I laughed and told my DH about the true/false game and get ready we are going to have an intelligent child since I would have just turned 36 when we had our DD. Little did I know just how intelligent she would be.
    We had quite a rough road to conceiving. What's kind of interesting to me is that, while of the first three kids, the first has been tested as mg, and at least one if not both of the other two are also, they were before I turned 35. The next one, at 38, seems even smarter, and the fifth one, at 40, seems smarter still - substantially (though perhaps it's because these two are without the various delays, 2E-type issues, that accompanied the first three late bloomers). Now at 41 I'm expecting a surprise #6. Irony aside, perhaps this one will be brilliant. I can only hope. smile

On the issue of oral contraceptives and IQ, perhaps it's something like the whole morning sickness thing discussed in that other thread, along the hypothesis that morning sickness indicates something about the health of the pregnancy which in turn has something to do with higher IQ. It is said that a person might be the most fertile right after coming off the pill - perhaps something about it leads to a more successful/healthful pregnancy. Not that I've figured out what any of this has to do with IQ....

J
    J
    I think I'm like the exception to everyone of these theories, myths, wives' tales, etc. hehehehe! wink

My best friend was on the pill for like 10 years, never missing one! And bam, like 2 days after she went off, her son was conceived. He's extremely smart, but I'm not sure about him being gifted. But I wouldn't doubt it. She was also over 30 when she had him.

Me on the other hand, I wasn't on birth control at all for at least 3 years prior to getting pregnant with DS. And if he's not HG, he's pretty darn close. I was not quite 30 when I had him.

L
    L
    My husband and I had been married for six years when I had my son in my late 30's. Our only form of birth control was having my teenage daughter and my highly gifted young adult stepson, who was always there and seemed to never sleep, living with us.

If we hadn't bought a travel trailer so we could go to the lake and have some privacy, my son would not be here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM