Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    L
    OP Offline
    L
    Hi families, My 7 year old DS tested with high scores in WPPSI when he was 5 and has been in a private school on Main Line in PA. The school does not cater specifically to his issues and I'm noticing that he sometime loses interest in the subjects. His teacher talks about his lack of attention, etc. but also admits that he is ahead and that may be why his gets distracted with other things. He is gradually falling from 'exceeds expectation' to 'proficient' in his report cards. He is showing less interest in many areas that used to excel in - for example, he scored a national rank in Kangaroo math last year but lately he does not appear interested. This is a concern that has been running for a while in my head. I feel this may be a result of the school environment and a more stimulating place would do a better job.

Now may family is moving to the bay area - South bay. We hope to live near Mountain view or further to the south and my options are limited. I see that the Harker school is often discussed in the context of 'gifted' but I do not see anything on their website about it. Would love to hear people's insights on why they think it is a good fit for gifted kids and how they tailor their teaching methods for such kids.

Last edited by LuckyMama; 12/14/19 07:12 PM.
    K
    K
    I don't have experience sending a child to school in the South Bay, but I have heard of two gifted schools in the area: Nueva and Helios, that might be worth it to look into.

L
    OP Offline
    L
    Thanks Portia, for your response. No, homeschooling is not an option for us.

J
    J
    In South Bay you have a few options but you need to apply now because most schools have application deadlines in early January and it is extremely competitive to get a spot. You might want to look into Helios and maybe Synapse. Nueva is a good option but maybe too far? Some public schools might also have gifted programs, but as far as I know, that varies from district to district.

M
    M
    Hi there! We're looking too! I can't say exactly how accurate this is but this is feedback I've received: Helios is a great school but maybe not quite set up for 2E. (We did actually go to this school and it did seem like a very good school. However, it seemed like it was more geared for kids who are strong in math as that was the only really differentiated curriculum. The Language Arts component did not seem to be very different than other schools we've seen.) Synapes: I've been told by some it's a great school for gifted kids and have been told by others that it's not really a school for gifted kids and that they don't require any IQ tests for admissions. Nueva I have been told is a great school and by some that they focus more on kids who are "well rounded" in the 130 range, not particularly great for 2E kids. We also looked at Bowman in Palo Alto. There's also Athena that we are looking at for our PG2E son. I've heard Harker in San Jose is a great school but that wouldn't be a great fit for our son. He's more of an "absorb and learn" type of person and there's not a lot of output yet!!

M
    M
    Oh sorry. I don't know why I thought you said your son was 2E. I was just on a 2E FB site and I think I was just in that mode =) If your son is gifted but not 2E I have also heard the Crystal Springs is a very academically rigorous school and kids I know who have gone there really liked it!

Y
    Y
    You can find some school listings here:

https://cagifted.org/regional-representatives-bayarea/

L
    OP Offline
    L
    Unfortunately homeschooling is not an option for me.

D
    D
    Hi there and a pending welcome to the Bay Area! It depends what you are looking for. Kids here are really advanced and there�s tremendous pressure to achieve young in schools. I would recommend living wisdom school in Palo Alto. They do differentiate and as long as your son isn�t performing 4+ years or so ahead- they will bump him up for math and possibly writing a year or two.
    Additionally if you have time take a look at http://www.twicegifted.org it is a science lab org that also gives other classes geared for gifted kids and 2e. They currently operate on homeschool hours but are expanding. Sign up for the email- there�s a lot of resources there on the site about doctors neuropsychs etc.

Good luck!

L
    OP Offline
    L
    Thanks Dannadrew. I will look up the options you have suggested.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM