Yep. I know we already have a walk / talk thread, but I just want to talk about language milestones and how language develops in babies / toddlers.

DD just turned 13 months. We've counted around 14 words, ever, but at the moment, she is really only saying maybe 5 or 6 (that we can understand.) da (dog), ba (for ball and also other b words, like book), bahbah (byebye), ap (apple), baby or baba (for baby), hah (hi).

We went for a check-up at 11 months and the doctor used the 18 month milestones on her and I think she had already reached all or most of them (maybe except for language? I don't know.)

The milestone charts say something like 3 words by 12 months... but really? That doesn't seem right. I don't know any 12 month olds with only 3 words...

She doesn't talk a whole lot, but today I counted around 45 signs (asl) that she knows and has used before. She will use more than one at a time or put them together once in awhile.

She uses signs most of the time and even "reads" her books alone by flipping through them and signing words she knows (and getting so excited <3).

I know a lot of you had kids saying two word sentences by now, and I'm interested in hearing how you've experienced language development.

Last edited by islandofapples; 01/04/12 10:20 PM.