Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 147 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore, Ross Kious, Alishaniche
    11,419 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    J
    jayne Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Does anyone know where there is a forum that slants more toward older kids? I really enjoy this one, but I do feel like I'm alone out here in the gifted world of high school/ college.

I'm in need of talking to some people that have "been there/tried that" for older kids. I also need some specific guidance, such as getting scholarships for non-diploma gifted kids, jobs, helping determine majors, academic load for early college, driving rules, dating, early independence, allowing mistakes/bad decisions, depression,teen friends, etc.

I had asked the moderator for a specific topic/section on this and was told it wasn't going to happen. The information kind of gets lost in the midst of all of the posts, and well, there's just not a lot of us.

Anyway, that is my need, and I thought I'd see if anyone else knows of a place I can get support more for older kids.

Thanks in advance!

I
    I
    There's a GT-Families Listserv that may fit the bill:

To subscribe, send mail to LISTSERV@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG with the command (paste it!):

SUBSCRIBE GT-FAMILIES

I
    I
    Another possibility would be to contact one of the facilitators listed here and ask if they know of anything like that:

http://www.sengifted.org/smpg_parent_facilitatordirectory.shtml

The SENG website also led me to this article on Gifted Adolescents:

http://www.sengifted.org/articles_social/BuescherHigham_HelpingAdolescentsAdjust.shtml

M
    M
    No help here, but I'm very interested in the responses. My younger sister is having a terribly hard time finding her way through college (and life, for that matter) for reasons that seem to have everything to do with giftedness, but I haven't been able to find much good information/support for gifted college students that I can pass on to her.

J
    jayne Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Inky: Thanks for the info. I'll see if the listserv serves for older kids. So far the ones I've been a part of, are for younger.
    I have enjoyed several articles from SENG, too! If I ever get some time, I wouldn't mind supporting their efforts.

MsFriz: Is she having executive functioning problems? I don't know if she is at a private college, but for sure private, some public, have services available to learning disabled kids, even if they don't have testing. They'll sometimes do it there for their students. Private schools especially want their students to succeed. She might look around for that.
    My oldest whose in college has a great system of advocating for herself when needed. She is twice exceptional, and it is documented. They did test her again. The center helped her work out a fair but good system, she can deal with. If ExecFunc skills are the issue, let me know, and I'll share with you what she is doing in greater detail.

CFK - I have gone to collegeconfidential, but they are more for finding out deadlines, requirements, and how to get in. Also, they don't seem to have the same...hmmmm, easy manner? of this group. Lots of bragging and intimidating...but thanks!

I'm going to continue looking the next few days or so. If someone knows of somewhere else to try, let me know. Hopefully, I'll find something out there. smile

Jayne-

The Davidson Young Scholars has a very active listserve for parents of teens. Threads there cover just about everything. If you think your child may qualify, I encourage you to apply.

I have a 20 year old son. Wow- that sounds old! He had his birthday last month.

I'd be happy to chat with you, and I am sure others would jump right in as well!

M
    M
    Thanks, Jayne, but it's not an executive functioning problem. More like an overabundance of intellectual passion and pursuits
    combined with a lack of challenge and guidance. She's bored and frustrated and strikes me as a graduate student stuck in an undergraduate program. So let me know if you find something!

Thanks again!

E
    E
    Hi Jayne -

My son is still in preschool but I had some ideas for you:

#1keep asking questions here! There are not many of you but there are a few parents on this board with children in HS and college. Maybe you can build a critical mass. Also, some parents with younger kids can tell you about their own experiences.

#2 have you checked hoagies for ideas? especially links to regional discussion boards. (see #3)

#3 try state gifted associations. even for states you don't live in

#4 yahoo who has a few good (active) gifted disussion groups

- EW

p.s. I will send you a private message with more ideas

Originally Posted by jayne
    Does anyone know where there is a forum that slants more toward older kids? I really enjoy this one, but I do feel like I'm alone out here in the gifted world of high school/ college.

DS12 will be in high school in about 6 months, so hold on!

When the Young Scholar Program kids 'Age Out' at age 18, I sent the parents an email inviting them to start posting here. not sure it's working, but I'm trying! If you have any friend who are facing these questions, but maybe are spread out geographically, maybe see if they will 'met you in cyberspace' so that the rest of us will have the benifit of your experience, ok?

I'm in need of talking to some people that have "been there/tried that" for older kids. I also need some specific guidance, such as getting scholarships for non-diploma gifted kids, jobs, helping determine majors, academic load for early college, driving rules, dating, early independence, allowing mistakes/bad decisions, depression,teen friends, etc.

I can help with the 'determine majors' perhaps. One of my 'new favorite' books is 'What High Schools don't tell you, and other parent's don't want you to know.' I know the title is a bit lurid, but I found it very interesting and inpiring, and it lists the various majors and career paths.

As far as the social/emotional stuff, I'll be lots of us remember what we, and friends and family members, went through, and although much has changed, perhaps we can help that way?

Best Wishes,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    I third the idea of recruitment to here! We're earlier in the process, but not so early that I don't want to listen in and learn!

If I can help recruit HS/college families here, just tell me how and I'll help!

Kriston
    Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM
    Posting IQ test results/Intepretrati
    on of them

by Chaya - 04/05/24 07:58 PM
    Seattle Public Schools shuts down gifted program
    by Eagle Mum - 04/05/24 02:18 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/02/24 09:08 AM