Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 186 guests, and 29 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    I'm thinking of applying for my son (12) to be a young scholar and I'm not sure what would be the best approach to the testing requirement of the application. He is profoundly gifted, but also has been diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder and ADHD. He has been homeschooled for the last four years and is reaching a point where he probably should be taking college-level courses in some subjects, while working at or maybe a few years above grade level in others. He has not taken any standardized/intelligence tests since the first grade.
    I'm tempted to have him take the SAT because it might be useful if I wanted to get him into a college course in the fall or spring; however, I'm concerned how he will handle long sections of the test that cover topics he's unfamiliar with or uncertain about. Would he be better off taking the PSAT first? If so, does anyone have an opinion about which one? Would his application for programs like this one be stronger if he took an intelligence test instead? He did score very well on the WISC as a kid.
    TIA

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Welcome!

As you may have seen in some of the other threads, it appears that taking the SAT for students under 13 is no longer an option without the cooperation of your local school district.

With regard to qualifying measures, do you have relatively recent evaluations related to his ASD and ADHD? How long ago did he take the WISC? If it was within the range allowable as listed on the DYS eligibility page, you might already have scores for that application. I think it's five years. And if he is not yet in grade 7, he should be able to take the PSAT8/9.

The question of college courses is distinct from DYS, as many of us have enrolled children in college coursework without that label. Check your state's dual enrollment/early college regulations for specific information on that. (Or contact your nearest community college or state university.) Where we are, the only documentation necessary for a homeschooled student to enroll in regular college courses is a letter from our home district confirming that the student is homeschooled, and placement testing administered by the college itself that establishes the appropriateness of the requested courses. (For a student your child's age, the admissions counselor typically would reserve the right to meet the student, as a general check on how they might feel in in-person classes with adults, but for my high-school-aged students, they didn't. This may differ in your region.) The SATs were actually not always sufficient for placing into courses around here, with the placement test (usually Accuplacer) the determining factor instead.

Depending on what his needs and interests are, sometimes even the remedial courses can have value for a student in his situation. For example, our CC system offers self-paced remedial math (high school level) courses that cover prealgebra, algebra I and algebra II, which potentially could be a convenient and relatively inexpensive way to cover those high school topics from a standard curriculum, but at a faster pace. Typically, students can take either more or less time to progress through the topics (so if you can finish all three in one semester, feel free!).

Other questions you might want to ask on DE/EC include whether students are restricted in time/mode of class (e.g., only online or only in-person, only after hours or only during school-day hours, # of courses per term), transferability of courses to other state or private universities (if that matters to you), and if there are discounts or fee waivers for dual enrollment students, including ones associated with specific demographics (e.g., first-gen college students, veterans or children of veterans, prospective STEM majors, students who were in the foster care system at some point, other historically underrepresented groups).

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM