Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 243 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Hi, Can someone help? (aeh!?) School has sent back my son's eval and has found no learning disability. Which I am happy about. However, I do not trust them as they told me twice my older son had no learning disability and he has severe dysgraphia.

So, here are some of the scores (I have more) for my son's most recent eval:

He has two particularly low scores on the WJ-IV-COG - in Letter Pattern Matching he scored in the 23rd percentile, deemed "low average" and in Story recall he scored in the 29th percentile. Those seems so low to me especially considering all of the other scores for that assessment are in the Superior and Very Superior range.

Here are the PAL scores, WIAT and TOWL scores. I bolded some I think are concerning.

Process Assessment of the Learner Second Edition Reading Writing (PAL II RW):
    Alphabet Writing Automatic Legible Letter Writing (AWAL) Total 9, 37th, Average
    Alphabet Writing Legible Letter Writing (AWL) Total 14, 91st, Superior
    Alphabet Writing Total Time 9, 37th, Average

Copying-Task A Automatic Legible Letter Writing (CPAAL): Total 7, 16th, Low Average
    Copying-Task A Legible Letter Writing (CPAL) 15 95th Superior
    Copying-Task A Total Time (CPATT) 8 25th Average
    Copying- Task B Legible Letter Writing at 30 seconds (CPBL-30) 8 25th Average
    Copying- Task B Legible Letter Writing at 60 seconds (CPBL-60) 10 50th Average
    Copying- Task B Legible Letter Writing at 90 seconds (CPBL-90) 9 37th Average
    Copying- Task B Copy Accuracy (CPBCA) 9 37th Average
    Handwriting Total Automatic Letter Legibility Composite (HWGTALC) 7 16th Low Average
    Handwriting Total Legibility Composite (HWGTLC) 13 84th High Average
    Handwriting Total Time Composite (HWGTTC) 8 25th Average
    Orthographic Spelling (ORS) Word Choice Accuracy (WCA) Total 13 84th High Average
    Word Choice Fluency (WCF) Total 13 84th High Average

The Test of Written Language-Fourth Edition (TOWL-4)
    Descriptive Category
    Contrived Writing 114 82nd Above Average
    Vocabulary 13 84th Above Average
    Spelling 10 50th Average
    Punctuation 9 37th Average
    Logical Sentences 12 75th Average
    Sentence Combining 13 84th Above Average
    Spontaneous Writing 99 47th Average
    Contextual Conventions 11 63rd Average
    Story Composition 8 [b]25th Averag[/b]e
    Overall Writing 110 75th Average

WIAT III
    Total Reading 109 73rd 105-113 Average
    Basic Reading 110 75th 106-114 Average
    Reading Comprehension and Fluency 107 68th 101-113 Average
    Word Reading 118 88th 114-122 Above Average
    Pseudoword Decoding 102 55th 98-106 Average
    Reading Comprehension 117 87th 109-125 Above Average
    Oral Reading Fluency 94 34th 87-101 Average
    Oral Reading Accuracy 87 19th 77-97 Average
    Oral Reading Speed 95 37th 87-103 Average
    Mathematics 141 99.7th 135-147 Superior
    Math Problem Solving 138 99th 131-145 Superior
    Numerical Operations 140 99.6th 133-147 Superior
    Written Expression
    Spelling 87 19th 81-93 Average

So, no learning disability? Or should we look further ? Or are certain discrepancies not being acknowledged?

Last edited by Irena; 01/07/20 11:35 AM.
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Oh and I am not sure why there are no scores for "written expression" It is blank just like in my post.

I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Originally Posted by Portia
    There are some therapists who will address the gap, which is what 2E needs. Even though the child can function adequately now, there is clearly a different developmental path/rate/etc. in a 2E. This takes that lower average score and compares it to the other scores of the child.

This is exactly my concern. And I notice that the the descriptors "average" "above average" and "superior" can be so misleading. Without really know how to interpret scores - a parent sees "average and "above average" and thinks "okay no issue." Thanks Portia!

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    I'll answer the last, clerical question first: There are no scores for the Written Expression composite because they did not administer Sentence Composition and Essay Composition, which are required to compute that composite. This is because the structure and nature of those tasks would duplicate those in the TOWL-4. That category of information is encompassed in the TOWL composite and subtest scores, specifically in the Sentence Combining subtest and the Spontaneous Writing composite.

It is true that there are no measures below the average range, on any reported component of the evaluation (which is likely why the finding was of no learning disability). It is also true that some of the weakest skill areas are quite divergent from the highest skill areas

In general, his pattern of relative weaknesses is in all timed tasks, not only speeded fine motor-involved tasks, but also tasks requiring no hand skills (oral reading fluency). Writing speed for both words and letters is at the low end of the Average range, as is oral reading speed. No math fluency, so we don't know about rate when writing math facts. Untimed measures are all at least in the upper quartile, with math, of course, exceptionally high, and the following other exceptions:

Writing mechanics are consistently in the Average range, with one of the measures of spelling bordering on Below Average.

Extended spontaneous writing is at the bottom of the Average range, fully a standard deviation below overall contrived writing, and up to nearly two standard deviations between specific spontaneous and contrived writing tasks (story composition vs vocabulary, sentence combining). Without the protocol in front of me, I can't say for sure, but among the questions I would have would be: How did his story compare in length with others his age (even anecdotally)? Did he use a comparable amount of the time allowed for the story, vs others his age? Were there relevant clinical observations (such as stopping frequently to shake out his hand, complaints about hand pain or fatigue, going back to correct, revise, or scratch out work, expressions of frustration, qualitative changes in legibility for short versus long writing samples, etc.)?

On the two tests from the WJ that you mention: both are in fact in the Average range, albeit the lower end thereof. The first is timed, so no shocker there. The second is harder to interpret in isolation, but it's a contextualized memory task, using narratives. Given that he's obviously a math kid, it may just not have fit his learning preferences. Another possibility: sometimes it's associated with weaker auditory working memory (phonological memory), which does have some relationship to dyslexia/dysgraphia.

It is notable that his reading accuracy falls that much on the fluency task, when reading in connected text, as compared to in isolation, at the word level. All in all, there are several pieces of data that are consistent with global weaknesses in automaticity (which we've discussed elsewhere as one of the core deficits that can result in both dyslexia and dysgraphia). The impact on applied skills, however, appears to be noteworthy only in written expression.

Given that he has cognitive scores largely in the Superior and above ranges, the Story Composition and Spelling scores (both of them) would typically be considered discrepantly low. Despite being in the Average range. As would all of the Automatic Legibility measures (which are in the Low Average range).

So one of the reasonable interpretations of the data would include something on the dysgraphic spectrum. Where a district places the functional cutoff for Specific Learning Disability-Written Expression vs student-with-dysgraphic-tendencies is another question altogether.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Thank you so much, AEH! This makes so much sense.

I wonder if it is worth it to request an IEE and have a private practice look at the testing (they did a lot of testing so it could probably just be a review of the already existing testing) and see what they say and if they would recommend perhaps an iep or 504.

Thoughts, anyone?

I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    I am also worried about these WIST scores:

Word Identification (assess a student's ability to read words aloud accurately): Standard score 107 (average):

Spelling(asses a student;s ability to spell words accurately from dictation): Standard score 105 (average);

Fundamental Literacy Ability Index: Standard score 106 (average);

Sound-Symbol Knowledge(assess a student's ability to produce sounds, i.e.,phenomes,associated with specific letters, i.e, graphemes) Standard score 95 (average);

Items Sets were all labeled "At/Above grade level" with no scores or any other info. EXCEPT "letter Sounds" which was simply labeled "below grade level"

A bit suspicious about these results for two reason - 1) school psych never mentions them again in the report and (2) labeled average with letter sounds coming in "below average"

I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Also here are the full WJ IV COG scores:

Oral Vocab: 123, 94th percentile), Superior
    Number series: 144, 99th percentile, Very Superior
    Verbal Attention: 121, 92nd percentile, Superior
    Letter Pattern Matching: 89, 23rd percentile, Low Average
    Story Recall 92, 29th percentile, Average
    Visualization: 106, 66th percentile, Average

I mean the difference between Letter Pattern (23rd percentile) and the top two scores of 94th percentile and 99th percentile has to be two standard deviations, no?

Last edited by Irena; 01/09/20 08:49 AM.
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    I am less concerned about the WIST scores. They suggest that decoding skills have normalized, which is consistent with the other achievement data. The related areas with lingering mild delays are in reading fluency and spelling, with spelling results somewhat variable across instruments. And letter sounds on the WIST is a bit harder than on some other measures because if you don't name every sound that a specific consonant can make (even though you can read it in real words), you don't get full credit. E.g., how many adults can name all the sounds of "o" off the top of their heads?

On the WJCog:

The standard global measure for the WJ (analogous to the WISC FSIQ) is the GIA. The reasoning measure without speed and working memory (analogous to the GAI on the WISC) is the Gf-Gc.

Yes, the differences are 34 and and 55 SS respectively, which are +2 and +3 (nearly 4) SD. But this really just references fine-motor speed, which hypothetically can be accommodated with extended time and typed response. Not saying it isn't a real deficit, but that district and state regs vary on how this would be supported. I'm less concerned with this processing speed weakness per se, and would pay more attention to the quality of response on extended writing (both spelling and story composition).

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Thank you very much AEH!

I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Oh and should I request a Gf-Gc be calculated to get a better idea of what is IQ score is?

Last edited by Irena; 01/08/20 01:34 PM.
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM