Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 355 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    J
    Johanna Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    My 3rd grade daughter is taking the CogAT at school next week. I am not sure what to expect, but know this test is timed and given on 3 consecutive days.
    How are scores computated - does finishing the test fast relate to higher test scores? Or does time not matter as long as you complete all questions within the given time?
    What is a good score? We just did a practice test on GT prep webiste and scored 97%. Does that qualify for gifted services?
    Thanks for your input,

L
    L
    Hi! Is your DD taking the CogAT for a school GATE program or for something else? What constitutes a "good score" for a gifted program really depends on whether the school or district has a minimum score for admission.

M
    M
    There is no scoring benefit in finishing faster than within the allotted time.

Various school districts set different criteria for qualifying for gifted services. In our school district 99th percentile on the COgAt plus 95th on an achievement test was needed to enter the highly academically gifted program. I believe qualification for the AG program required a 95th percentile on the CogAt.

I
    I
    Not all districts have gifted programs or services. States may vary considerably. Not all States mandate or fund gifted education. Here is a link - http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/StatePolicy.aspx

After checking your State, you may wish to check your district policy and practice statements. Look for any policies and practices which may describe gifted programs or services which they may offer, then, to answer your immediate question, you may wish to look for topics related to "identification".

K
    Kai Offline
    K
    The test is tightly timed, meaning that many students will not finish. So in that sense, fast is better, but being *faster* than the time allotted won't gain any more points.

J
    Johanna Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    We are at a magnet school with gifted services. Kai- your answer is exactly what I was looking for. I can only hope that the questions on the GT prep site were representative as far as difficulty and time goes - we had 7 minutes left at the end of the test and had spent time discussing many of the thought processes behind the questions while we completed the test.
    The cutoff is aound 80 or 85% score on the CogAt if I remember correctly. The students with adequate scores take the ITBS a few weeks later and scores on that test determine eligibility for 4th and 5th grade gifted services for math and/or literacy.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by Johanna
    CogAT ... GT prep website ... scored 97%. Does that qualify for gifted services? ... The cutoff is around 80 or 85% score on the CogAt if I remember correctly.
    Looking at the website you mentioned, it appears the score there is given as a percent, whereas many gifted programs and services have qualification scores based on percentile. You may wish to check your school or district policies for information, to avoid misunderstandings and future disappointment.

L
    L
    Best wishes on the test! It sounds like you are on the right track. DD took it this spring for GATE screening, but parents believe it is also used as a part of future AP Math consideration. Our program uses a verbal (V), plus quantitative (Q) composite in their screening. Many programs use a total composite (V+N+Q). Other programs only require a subtest score in their cutoff range. Please let us know if you have additional questions.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM