Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 217 guests, and 23 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    R
    rac Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    How big is the effect of multilingualism on IQ testing of preschoolers?
    As background, we have what I think is probably a moderately gifted kid. He is growing up trilingually, and has been behind in his language skills compared to monolingual kids in all 3 languages. His weakest language is English.Currently, he probably wouldn't even understand testing instructions in English. However, he will have been in an English speaking preschool for 4-5 months when taking the IQ test (presumably WPPSI?) next year at 4 yrs old. Am I correct in fearing that his verbal skills might make enough of a difference to have a moderately gifted kid be classed as not gifted, or only mildly gifted? Thanks!

Last edited by rac; 12/15/12 03:52 PM.
    C
    CCN Offline
    C
    I think you are correct. Any factor that interferes with compliance (language comprehension, attention problems, hearing issues, disruptive behaviour, etc etc) is going to interfere with the accuracy of the results.

You could have him tested anyway and take the results with a grain of salt, or wait until his English is better (this is assuming you can't have him tested in his strongest language ?)

From what I understand IQ testing at age 4 is pretty unreliable to begin with... not even fluently speaking the language the test is given in would make the whole thing pointless, I'd think.

There are tests that are meant to be better for children who do not speak English as their primary language.. the NNAT, for one. It's not nearly as thorough as most other tests.. it's pretty much just a non-verbal test.

~amy
    S
    S
    The law for special education requires that tests be given in the child's first language. I don't know what they do if the child is being brought up in 3 languages simultaneously.

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM