Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 321 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    Hello,

I am new here and just wondering if you guys think I should keep fighting to get my DS9 "formally identified" at his school.

Last year while in 3rd grade they gave him the CogAT, based on his score (135/99 percentile/9 Stanine)the school asked for my permission to have him take the OLSAT to see if he qualified for the G/T program. On the OLSAT he scored 123/95 percentile/8 Stanine. They sent home a letter saying he did qualify for the G/T program. For more information, his score on the MAP tests; Math 224/96 percentile, Reading 218/96 percentile, Language usage 222/97 percentile, General Science 211/94 percentile, Concepts and Processes 209/96 percentile.
    His Score on the ITBS test; Vocabulary 240/9 Stanine/99 percentile, Reading Comp 246/9 stanine/99 percentile, Reading total 243/9 stanine/99 percentile, Concepts & Estimation 234/9 stanine/99 percentile, Prob. solv & data interp 234/9 stanine/97 percentile, Math computation 226/9 stanine/99 percentile, Math total 231/9 stanine/99 percentile. Lexile test; 1024/8 stanine/96 percentile.

I just had a meeting with his teacher, principal and the district chair of the G/T program. My problem is that they kept telling me, that at this time, my DS is not "formally identified" and could not offer him any services, until he was. I kept asking when they will, if they will, "identify" him, and their response was "the law states that they have to identify G/T in the fourth grade, so they have till the end of the school year." They also tell me that there is more than test scores and grades that go into identifying; i.e. teacher recommendations, social habits and leadership qualities, but wont tell me if he has gotten those.

I know that my son has gotten bored in his earlier grades and it has been brought to my attention that he finishes his work quickly (all correct) and then gets in trouble for playing or disrupting other students. So, I would like to have him challenged more in his classes.
    But, right now I feel like the more I fight the more they drag their heels.
    Do you think I should keep fighting to have him "formally identified"?

Thank you!!

Just an FYI, switching schools really isn't an option, there are very few private schools around and home schooling would not work with my husband's and my work schedules.

Given the boredom, it sounds like you should keep fighting, but figure out a strategy that works for your district.

Anyone else in your same situation there?

Originally Posted by Syrenmom
    But, right now I feel like the more I fight the more they drag their heels.
    Do you think I should keep fighting to have him "formally identified"?
    It can be frustrating - but imagine how hard they would drag their heels if you gave up asking entirely.

My experience is that it's sort of like that in the beginning - the harder you fight the more they drag their heels, until finally a certian lightbulb goes off and they start to recognize that your kid does have special educational needs and then work with you.

Given that someone at your school thinks that there is a law that ID must be in 4th grade (LOL - I'll bet a dollar that's not true) I think that makes it even more important that you keep up the advocacy efforts.

It may help you to 'reframe' your activity as 'asking questions' and 'advocate' rather than 'fight' - theoretically all the adults are on the same side - the side of making things go well for your child. It may help.

It is frustrating that your son is having trouble getting his academic needs met at school. It's normal, but still has lots of downsides, that he is having behavior issues over it.

I would keep advocating, for your son's sake, and for the sake of the teachers who have to try and 'manage him.'

((shrugs and more shrugs))
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    I don't know if there is. The district chair kept telling me that I was the first parent to ever have any questions and that they seemed bothered that I requested the meeting (it took months to schedule).

Originally Posted by Syrenmom
    For more information, his score on the MAP tests; Math 224/96 percentile, Reading 218/96 percentile, Language usage 222/97 percentile, General Science 211/94 percentile, Concepts and Processes 209/96 percentile.
    I'm wondering if those percentiles are national or for his school? Do you think your school has 4% of kids in his grade scoring as high or higher than he is? If so, can there be some flexible grouping for all those kids to get their reading/Math/LA/Science together with a teacher who can teach to their readiness level? If not, would your son have more academic peers in the next classroom up.

I'd focus on those MAP scores and if they are acurate (was he encourage to just hit the 'I don't know' button to get the test to end? It can go on quite a long time in some circumstances!) because MAP scores come with info to help teachers know 'what to teach next to this particular student.'

Best Wishes,
    Grinity

S
    OP Offline
    S
    Grinity,

No, Ky does have a mandate that the identifying process take place in the fourth grade. The law is very specific, due to the state trying to get off the bottom, when education is concerned. The school his goes to is one of the best in the county, but it has only has only has the G/T program for two years, and last year was the first year it was on site and didn't have to bus the kids to another school.

Thank you for all your input.

I have only referred to my involvement as "fighting" on here and that was because of my very frustrating meeting yesterday.

Last edited by Syrenmom; 08/30/11 02:08 PM.
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    the percentiles on the MAP were the national, per the "most recent NWEA RIT Scale Norm".

Theoretically, all the other kids who scored at the 97% on their MAP tests should be excellent academic peers for him. Is the school likely to create some small groups? Are there 'other kids?'

I think I misunderstood you somewhere, anyway - here's how Ky's website puts it:
    http://www.education.ky.gov/KDE/Ins...Asked+Questions++Gifted+and+Talented.htm
    FORMAL IDENTIFICATION

Q: When are students formally identified for gifted services?
    A: Initially, students may be formally identified in the fourth grade. Students who show evidence of giftedness any time during the school year or subsequent grade levels may also be considered. The district shall provide a system for continual diagnostic screening.

I think the newness of the program accounts for the heel dragging. ((shrugs))
    Grinity

You can always get a private psychological evaluation from a Psy.D. or Ph.D. to stuff the school file with pro-gifted evidence.

But that costs money and I'm not sure how that works in school-land in terms of getting into the gifted program.

My father was a school principal/school superintendent, so all of my experiences with the K-12 system included personal access to the "Easy Button" with respect to the bureaucracy.

As an attorney, I use "record stuffing" as a way to get the government to do what I want it to do.

F
    F
    For more information, his score on the MAP tests; Math 224/96 percentile, Reading 218/96 percentile, Language usage 222/97 percentile, General Science 211/94 percentile, Concepts and Processes 209/96 percentile.

Is this from spring of third or fourth??

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM