Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    I had my son (currently in 3rd grade) try the sample EXPLORE questions available at http://www.actstudent.org/explore/tests/index.html and wonder what the scaled score equivalents are for various raw scores. I understand that the raw-to-scaled conversion will differ for each version of the test .

On the various sections, my son scored
    9/10 math
    6/10 English
    5/10 reading
    13/15 Science

Of course, to get a real set of EXPLORE scores I need to have him take the full test. This is inconvenient in Massachusetts, but it can be arranged through a talent search such as the Belin-Blank.

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    N
    N
    Honestly, I don't think that you can use the sample questions to tell you what your DS's scores would be on the actual EXPLORE. Perhaps someone can give you an idea of the conversion, but I don't think it would be particularly meaningful. It's just not a large enough sample of questions. In addition, part of the challenge for many kids is pacing and having the stamina to get through 2+ hours of the test.

Yes, it's a bit of a nuisance, but why not have your DS take the EXPLORE for real? I arranged testing through Belin-Blank and it was not that onerous. Not only will you satisfy your curiosity, but you'll have actual scores that might be of some help with school advocacy.

M
    M
    My son said that the sample questions were easier then the questions on the test. That of course is very subjective, but I have heard others say that as well.

ditto MagnaSky

Last edited by herenow; 05/15/11 09:30 AM.
    K
    K
    Originally Posted by MagnaSky
    My son said that the sample questions were easier then the questions on the test. That of course is very subjective, but I have heard others say that as well.

My child said the same.

Mine said the same! And I second the opinion about Belin Blank. Very easy process! Good luck!

C
    C
    My girls both thought that the sample questions were much easier as well. They didn't go through all of the sample questions, though, so they may not be the best judges.

BTW and FYI we purchased a book of Explore Questions to get a handle on the test. Those questions were SO much harder than the exam. Especially the science section. Waste of $$.

Agree with everyone above. My child's scores on the practice questions definitely did not seem to have any real correlation to how said child did on the actual Explore test.

B
    OP Offline
    B
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    On the various sections, my son scored
    9/10 math
    6/10 English
    5/10 reading
    13/15 Science

I had my son take the EXPLORE through Belin Blank, and his scores were

24 Math
    17 English
    18 Reading
    23 Science
    21 Composite

The rank ordering is similar to that of the %correct on the sample questions. It's silly to do a regression with 4 observations, but I'll go ahead:

Explore_subtest_scaled_score = 0.17 * %correct_sample_questions + 8.42 + error

with both regression coefficients having t-stats exceeding 2. With this regression the predicted Explore scores would have been

23.6 Math
    18.5 English
    16.9 Reading
    23.0 Science .
    20.5 Composite

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM