Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 273 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    My DS10 took the SCAT test on Friday and his scores were up already. He qualified for CTY for Verbal but just missed for Math (he's more upset that he missed high honor's in verbal by 1 point!) His scores were:

Verbal raw: 38
    Verbal scaled: 459
    Verbal percent: 79

Quantative raw: 31
    Quantative scaled: 459
    Quantative percent: 58

Overall, I was really pleased - he's never taken anything like this, and he's anxious to begin with - so knowing they were watching him and the whole way the testing center operated had him a little freaked out. But, it was still a good experience and I'm glad we did it!

But, here's my question - it says the test he took was IX1 and then for "Test Norm" it says 8S - I don't understand what that means...? Can anyone give me any insight to that?

Thanks,
    Jen

C
    OP Offline
    C
    Thanks so much Dottie! I figured that's what it meant, but I don't know why I was under the assumption it would be a 7th grade norm, thinking the test would be 2 grade levels above, not 3.

So, his percentiles are then against 8th graders, not 5th graders, correct?

I'm glad this prompted you to find out your son's scores were online! smile

C
    C
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    ...While checking my son's account to see what other versions there might be (he also took IX1, but my daughter took IX2), I noticed his recent SAT scores were posted. I can stop questioning my hearing (paper scores have yet to arrive).
    I thought that we couldn't get SAT scores online for kids under 13. Has that changed? Dd12 hasn't taken it yet this year, but she will.

C
    OP Offline
    C
    Thanks again Dottie! And sorry - I see you had answered my question about the norms in your previous post, but somehow it didn't sink in! blush Last question - he received the invite from School, so I had to put his school code on the application, etc. Would anyone know if they are automatically sent a copy of the scores, or would I need to inform them?

Thanks again for the help with this!

Jen

Last edited by consmom2000; 11/09/10 05:24 AM. Reason: correction
    I'm a newbee here to the forum...

Recently my DD 9 recently SCAT test also and her result is very good, so proud of her.
    Here her score:
    Verbal raw: 43/50 Math raw: 34/50
    Verbal percentile: 92% Math percentile: 68%
    Scaled Score: 470 Scaled Score: 465

I think her version also 8S.

She's qualify to take online course verbal and math but i think she'll get an high honor achievement award for Verbal only eventually.
    This is her 1st test and she never take test like this before.

Does anybody when we actually receive the invitation for award ceremony? Is it worth attending?

Thanks.

N
    N
    menlomom,

Was your DD testing as 5th grader?

FYI: They now hold the awards ceremonies once a year in the fall, so you have a LONG wait. Invitations are sent out in late summer. This year's ceremony (at least where we live) was in early October.

Yes, my DD in 5th grade.

Wow.. yes,that is a LONG wait..

How does it work?
    Do you mind tell me about your experience attending the award ceremony? Was it worth attending? Will they appoint where to go based on state we are live in for the ceremony?

Based on her score above, do you think I should apply DYS program? I never apply but with this accomplishment is it consider profoundly gifted category?

Thanks in advance

C
    C
    Another SCAT question so I thought I'd throw it in here-

My DS is taking SCAT in two weeks. I just realized that I may have made a mistake! He is 7 1/2 and grade accelerated to 3rd. I registered him as a 3rd grader because it didn't dawn on me to do otherwise.

Should I have registered him as a 2nd grader since that his is age? Should I call CTY and ask them to change it?

S
    S
    What are the benefits of taking the SCAT? Maybe this has been asked before, but just curious. Is it just for children to take online courses? and if so, are kids taking these online courses in addition to schooling? With school DS6 already barely has time to do the EPGY program...don't think he has done it at all since school started.

C
    C
    Thanks Dottie! I put 3rd because I wanted him to be eligible for 3rd grade stuff- but it didn't even dawn on me until later that I may have disadvantaged him for awards.

Shellymos- We are doing it because there are some really fun family programs coming up and for summer activities. My DS wants to dive in the tank in Monterey Bay Aquarium!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM