Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 293 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #95074 02/19/11 04:52 PM
    P
    OP Offline
    P
    I finally was able to get my daughter 5.5 screened. They have said no further testing is needed. She took the WJ III Achievement. It shows 80% BRIEF READING, 80% BRIEF MATH, 93% BRIEF WRITING, 86% BRIEF ACHIEVEMENT, 91% ACADEMIC SKILLS, 83% ACADEMIC APPS,and 53% ACADEMIC KNOWLEDGE. Then on the teacher's observation of gifted characteristics it has 3/27. I have 3 problems with this.

1. I currently give her 2-3rd grade workbooks. Her reading is on more of a 1st grade level so I read some of the instructions but she fills everything in very easily on her own. She can multiply and divide, understands positive and negative numbers, and can add double digits. That is just as far as I have had time to let her go. I don't really know where her cut off is with math. She seems to pick it all up easily and has an excellent memory. Her reading skills have been the only thing we have struggle with because she gets mad that can't read fast like me and her daddy so she gives up easily. I expected her to score highest on math but instead she scored higher on language. Her raw score on letter-word is 23. But she has been writing letters and has known their sounds and how to sound out words since she was about 2.5 and she scored an 84%. Her writing samples came in at 91% but her teacher says that is what she needs to work on the most. So, I am confused about how the scores are calculated vs. what I see at home and what her teacher is saying.

2. Secondly the teacher observation is really odd. The teacher has told me she is much farther ahead than anyone in class and she is also the youngest. She also has told me that she is very creative. My daughter tends to get in trouble in class for either rushing through her work or not doing it all. And also for blurting out answers and asking non-stop questions. She can draw in perspective and draw 3-D shapes, she even shades her coloring pages accurately. She has tons of "collections". She even tried to bring home empty potato chip bags and bark from the playground to add into her collection box because it is "shiny" or "interesting". The score of 3/27 for gifted characteristics seems low considering that the teacher has observed several things I know to be gifted characteristics.

3. How is her Academic Knowledge score at 53% when she can do everything on her Kindergarten report card...and has been able to do most of it for 2-3 years now?

Am I reading the scores wrong, or is she perhaps just not responding to the Kindergarten Achievement test...and what should I do next?

Last edited by paynted28; 02/19/11 05:21 PM.
    M
    M
    There are many people on here that may have better advice, but maybe you should consider private testing. We are currently going throught the testing process with my DS 4.5 because I did not want to rely on (or wait for) an achievement test, which is what our school district would provide. Our state has a list of tests available that can qualify the children for gifted services.

This seems really odd. I would talk to the Gifted Coordinator, if there is one, or the tester, and ask what is the procedure for requesting a 'second opinion' because the scores and the child just don't match up. You might also want to read '5 Levels of Giftedness' by Deb Ruf just to get ideas for what observations are meaningful.

The main question is how to solve your daughter's current educational misfit. What ideas are on the table at her school? The teacher observation alone tells me that something needs to be done.

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM