Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    OP Offline
    Does anyone have a DC who seems to be a Visual-Spatial learner when it comes to Math, yet is a very Auditory and Linguistic at Reading Comprehension, Spelling and all things Poetic and Writing?

I am trying to identify DD's learning style, and can pretty much check all the boxes when it comes to identifying Visual Spatial learners (except, she reads very well, has great comprehension and seems to be a very good speller) So we mostly see the VS issues when it comes to Math. She dreads/hates repetition and timed tests and does not see the reason for doing "more of the same". (EPGY has been great for her Math, moving quickly from concept to concept)

How do you teach to a VS math student and a Non-VS language arts student?

Jewels,

Your post prompted me to do some research into VS learners and reading comprehension is listed as a strength. DS definitely fits the bill on many things as well but is an excellent reader/speller. The literature I looked at stated that some people are capable of both types of learning so when the VS "Aha" moment of getting it all at once doesn't work they can follow the steps etc. to get the required understanding.

J
    J
    Originally Posted by Breakaway4
    The literature I looked at stated that some people are capable of both types of learning so when the VS "Aha" moment of getting it all at once doesn't work they can follow the steps etc. to get the required understanding.
    DS really seems to have characteristics common to both types, which always leaves me a bit puzzled as to his preferred(?) learning style. Perhaps he does what's mentioned above - relying on the other when the first isn't working. Interesting.

OP Offline
    That makes sense that they would use both. I did notice that our Educational Psychologist used the phrase "globally gifted" in reference to DD, but did say her Right Brain was a tad more dominant.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM