Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #44989 04/17/09 03:58 PM
    LMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I've been trying to remember 5 year olds who made the DYS 150 cut off on WPPSI. All I can remember is quite a few kids on SB-V (cut off 145) and very few on WPPSI. Dottie, any stats on that?

Does one have much better chance using SB-V than WPPSI? On one hand there is DS4 who may be DYS candidate, on the other hand there is DS6 who made the WPPSI DYS cut off.

I am really not able to compare the two of them. They are so different. As much as I don't hesitate to use HG for DS4 I am not sure he would qualify for anything beyond that.

LMom
    LMom #44995 04/17/09 05:18 PM
    Mia Offline
    My ds was close -- 148 FS on the WPPSI at 5y5m. And that was a composite; all index scores were lower. If we'd had the choice (SB5 or WPPSI) and I'd known then what I know now ... I'd *probably* have gone for the SB5.

That said, your ds4 is younger than mine was, and if you think HG rather than HG++, he'd probably be fine with the WPPSI if you need results now.

Last edited by Mia; 04/17/09 05:20 PM. Reason: Typos -- on my phone :)

Mia
    Dottie #45020 04/18/09 07:00 AM
    LMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I think the problem isn't the test itself, it's the age. I sort of wish the DYS requirements read 150 if the IQ test was administered before the age of 6 (or preferably 5 wink) regardless of the test.

The 150 requirement on WPPSI doesn't really leave any space for a mistake. DS6 was 5:3 when tested on WPPSI and besides being smart he was probably also lucky to pull it off. BTW I would love to retest him at some point. I love numbers wink but I am not sure if that's a good enough reason for spending $$$.

DS4 will be 5 in a few months and I am quite torn between going back to the same tester who doesn't administer SB-V or finding somebody else. I know way too well that the most reasonable thing would be to wait till he is 6.

Besides our local gt programs we don't really need the testing. He will be homeschooled next year and I am not sure they would accept a recommendation from a PreK teacher but then achievement testing in fall would probably be a better choice anyway. Of course there is DYS which let's face it is the main thing on my mind. If he belongs there I would rather not explain next year why he cannot attend the Summit while his brother can.

Either way we won't do achievement testing till he is in K. I am not interested in any partial results.

LMom
    LMom #45021 04/18/09 07:20 AM
    B
    B
    My son at age 4 scored significantly higher on the WPPSI than on the SB-V. I have always assumed this is because he is much more gifted verbally than mathematically. I think it was partly the tester, too, of course.

bronxmom #45039 04/18/09 06:18 PM
    Originally Posted by bronxmom
    My son at age 4 scored significantly higher on the WPPSI than on the SB-V. I have always assumed this is because he is much more gifted verbally than mathematically.

I've heard lots of people say that, all else being equal, the SB-V is supposed to be good for mathy kids. Can anyone say why? In particular, do the non-verbal subtests actually include math questions, or are they just the kinds of non-math questions that a mathy kid might be good at? I guess I'm asking because it would seem odd to me if there were actual math questions on an IQ test, but it also seems odd to me to think that there are non-math questions that mathy kids in general are good at. (Logic questions, for example, seem to me to be a different kind of thing than math questions, and talent for one doesn't generally indicate talent for the other.)

It's mostly any idle question, but I really would be interested to know the answer. I'm fascinated by what exactly people think they're measuring in IQ tests.

BB

Dottie #45041 04/18/09 06:36 PM
    A verbal test for quantitative reasoning? I really don't understand what these categories mean!

BB

B
    B
    Also, what if a kid is better at math than verbal stuff, but better at verbal than spatial things? I've heard that SB-V is more of a spatial test, but then again you guys are saying it also has the math component.

Dottie #45058 04/19/09 04:09 AM
    LMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    I think the best thing to do with these tests is get in early, get results that open needed doors, and then stop thinking about them, crazy .

Thank you. That's what I needed to hear. Now if I only could follow through and stop thinking about it once it's done wink At least we will get the papers for our local gifted programs.

LMom
    LMom #45061 04/19/09 05:11 AM
    My DS6 did very well on the SB-V at age 4 years 9 months--well enough to qualify for DYS. One of my fears is that retesting on the WISC-IV in a year or two might be significantly lower and put me back in a GT denial. smile

I also have two younger children--DD is actually 4 years 10 months right now. Since she doesn't fully read yet and is much more artistic than academic I haven't had the desire to get her tested. I think I may have her tested on the SB-V before she turns 6 just to see if she can qualify for DYS. I know she is gifted but I know that achievement wise she is not where DS6 was at this age because her interests are so much different than his. She is also much more compliant and thrives with the repetition in her current Montessori classroom. She is advanced in math but definitely avoids the language arts right now.

Also to comment on the Quantitative Reasoning subtests--DS6 is pretty mathy and scored 147 (99.9th%) on that subtest with an 18 in non-verbal and 19 in verbal. He actually scored 4 more raw points than needed for that 19 in verbal. In the words of his tester--he nailed it! smile

Crisc
    crisc #45062 04/19/09 05:15 AM
    A cut and paste from our report about the Quantitative Reasoning Subtests:

Quantitative Reasoning measures the child�s facility with numbers and numerical problem solving. Verbal items use word problems, while nonverbal items use pictured relationships.

Also about the Visual Spatial Subtests:

Visual-Spatial Processing (VS) measures the child�s skill in seeing patterns, relationships, spatial orientation, or the gestalt whole among various parts of a visual display

Last edited by crisc; 04/19/09 05:15 AM.

Crisc
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM