Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (jenjunpr), 300 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #38789 02/21/09 03:09 PM
    OP Offline
    Well, luck was with us. We made the Explore and the Scout pinecar derby!
    The scouts delayed the start of the derby 30 minutes due to so many kids in sporting events. We had one of his buddies check in his car, .04 of an ounce under maximum weight(!), and we were there 20 minutes before the start of the race so GS9 got to race his car. He got third in Webelos so he's going to district. He is so excited!
    Now about the Explore. Either he is, or I am, blissfully ignorant regarding his ability. He finished all questions and said the math was the only test that was hard. There were things he's not done and to top it off the $3 calculator decided to quit. It was fine last night, not fine today. They handed him a spare but he didn't seem to work it well from his description.
    Now we join the wait to see if it really was as easy as he thought.

OP Offline
    Dottie, we'll be super busy the next month & a half, I doubt I'll even think about the scores. He & I both have long parts in a play at our church, and we'll have to help each other learn them--unfortunately we're in 2 different scenes so it's not like we'll be learning our own part while helping the other. The district derby is March 15, the play is April 4th & 5th, and he's trying out for a speaking part in a program his school chorus is doing.

I came back to add, this kid(GS) who just learned the last name of most of his friends THIS year, learned the names of at least 3 kids who sat around him during the test. Not only did he learn names, he learned a bit about them during the breaks. He really hit it off with them, he's not usually like that -- at least not in school.

Last edited by OHGrandma; 02/21/09 03:38 PM. Reason: clarifying
    Yay on making it to both!! And it sounds like a good test day too. I never know how to take DS's assessment of his own performance... to hear him tell it he aced just about the whole thing, but I won't really know until I get numbers. I think if he came out saying he blew it I wouldn't be quite so impatient... LOL

Good luck staying distracted! smile

Erica
    Congrats on both parts - taking the EXPLORE and 3rd in the Derby! Yea!!

MrWiggly took the EXPLORE on Saturday as well. I woke up late after pushing snooze one too many times. Went downstairs to make coffee and was greeted by 2 inches of snow on the ground and flurries in the air! MrWiggly hadn't been able to fall asleep Friday night because of his father's snoring!! So he was hard to wake up in the am. But we got out the door and discovered the roads weren't too bad in spite of the snow. Then we managed to catch up to the plow! THAT slowed us down for sure.

But MrWiggly sat his butt in the seat at 8:32 and *just* made it for the testing. He had no time to be anxious or worried. It worked out great. I asked if it had seemed hard and he said "nah." I think it's great that at his age he's not stressed about testing. It will help a lot in the long run - since test scores determine so much in education.

I'm anxious to get the scores, especially the report from Northwestern comparing his scores to the other 3rd graders. And you're right, Dottie, the waiting will be harder after seeing all of you January people posting your results!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM