Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 210 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    L
    League Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Hi, my child's psychologist did not provide a GAI for her, only an FSIQ, but I believe the GAI may turn out to be higher than the FSIQ. In adding up the scaled scores of the 5 subtests that contribute to the GAI, I get a total of 70 (Similarities 15, Vocab 18, BD 10, MR 12, FW 15 = 70 total)

Could anyone calculate what her GAI would be for me? I've already followed up with her tester twice to ask, but have yet to receive an answer.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    What makes you think the GAI will be significantly higher than the FSIQ, btw? In general, the default is to preference the FSIQ in interpretation, unless there are significant differences among the index scores, in which case one can have a discussion about additional interpretations (although from a technical psychometric standpoint, the FSIQ is still the most robust measure).

If you are looking for documentation of ability measures of 130+, the GAI will not provide that in this case. (If Digit Span and Coding are both at least a 9 or so--i.e., in the Average range--then the FSIQ is not significantly lower than the GAI.) From the scores you've provided, I suspect that the measure that you may find more informative to pursue would be the VECI, which requires two more verbal subtests. But whether it accomplishes your goals depends on your situation.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    L
    League Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Originally Posted by aeh
    What makes you think the GAI will be significantly higher than the FSIQ, btw?

aeh - I know the GAI won't be significantly higher, but maybe a mere few points more, which may get us the score we need (126+) for participation in our district's high cap program. Her VCI was already 136, so I could advocate for inclusion based on that, but they seem to really prefer either an FSIQ or GAI of over 126. Her FSIQ just missed the cut, at 122. Hopefully that makes more sense now.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Ah. That does make more sense. In that case, yes, push your evaluator to produce an additional letter or amended report documenting the GAI.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM