Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #246737 02/04/20 07:03 PM
    B
    OP Offline
    B

Hi all,

My child had a WISC V recently.

Verbal Similarities 15
    Comprehension Vocabulary 15
    (Information) 14
    (Comprehension) 16
    Visual Spatial Block Design 11
    Visual Puzzles 11
    Fluid Reasoning Matrix Reasoning 12
    Figure Weights 12
    (Picture Concepts) 9
    (Arithmetic) 16
    Working Memory Digit Span 12
    Picture Span 10
    (Letter-Number Seq.) 9
    Processing Speed Coding 12
    Symbol Search 6
    (Cancellation) 10

The report which I received last year mentioned FSIQ of 91 percentile and GAI of 91 percentile.

I recently came across the EGAI, EFI and VECI (). According to my calculation the EGAI works out as 96th percentile, VECI as 98th percentile, EFI as 86 percentile.

I asked the assessor if she could include the EGAI, VECI and EFI in the report. The response: "at this point in time, there is insufficient evidence of the concurrent or predictive validity of these indexes to warrant interpretation, and that they would not add to an existing full battery assessment."

At the moment I don't need the report for anything, but it might be useful for advocating for educational purposes in the future.

Where can I find evidence that EGAI, VECI and EFI are relevant, valid and add to the full battery of assessment? (I already sent the two pearson reports 1 and 5 to her when I asked to include the EGAI, EFI and VECI.)

Thank you for your help.

BananaGirl #246741 02/04/20 09:18 PM
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    You have already sent her the professional documentation for the value of these indices. I do want to point out, though, that she is correct in stating that the exact scores you have in hand "would not add to an existing full battery assessment." The slight upward changes resulting from using the EGAI, VECI, and EFI are fairly negligible, statistically (although I grant you that, in some cases, they might make the difference between missing and making an arbitrary cutoff score).

The relevant comparisons are EGAI-GAI, VECI-VCI, and EFI-FRI, and none of those changes are really meaningful, with standard score differences of just a few points in all cases. Note that while you might have expected the EFI to go up quite a bit over the FRI, the average of PC and Ar is nearly the same as that of the core FRI subtests, so there isn't really a lot of boost with the EFI. Both index scores are in the High Average range. EGAI and GAI are both in the Very High range, and VECI and VCI are both at the bottom of the Extremely High range.

So no, I don't think you'll pick up much in the way of additional tools for advocacy by going back for more index scores.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM