Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 186 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    E
    OP Offline
    E
    hi! I'm back with more questions.

yesterday a couple other parents and i met with some of the district administrators to discuss the GT programs available at our elementary schools. one of the administrators commented that identification prior to age 8 or 9 is very difficult. i know that IQ testing is tricky before that age, but i was under the impression that there are other ways to identify giftedness in young children. i can't find any research to that end, though. can someone point me in the right direction?

many thanks!
    e

I
    I
    Here is a roundup of common Behavior characteristics and early milestones which may indicate giftedness
    - Characteristics of intellectually advanced young people
    - Parenting Gifted Preschoolers
    - NAGC's list borrowed from the book A Parent's Guide to Gifted Children
    - Characteristics and Behaviors of the Gifted
    - Characteristics checklist for gifted children
    -Tips for Parents: Helping Parents Understand Their Profoundly Gifted Children
    - Profiles of the gifted and talented which lists 6 different types, categorized by personality/temperament and achievement
    - Bertie Kingore, Ph.D.: High Achieving, Gifted Learner, Creative Thinker? (hat tip to sanne)
    - A common trait in gifted children, often listed amongst identifying characteristics, is alternately described as: "advanced moral reasoning", "well developed sense of justice", "moral sensitivity", "advanced ability to think about such abstract ideas as justice and fairness", "empathy", "compassion". Links to lists of gifted characteristics include several articles on the Davidson Database here and here, SENG (Silverman), SENG (Lovecky).
    - ages at which gifted children may reach developmental milestones
    - thread about Early Milestones - what do they mean?
    - SENG video: The Misdiagnosis of Gifted Children
    - book: Misdiagnosis and Dual Diagnoses of Gifted Children and Adults
    - old post with link to article comparing gifted characteristics and ASD characteristics
    - post with checklist comparing gifted and ASD traits (hat tip to BananaGirl)
    - post with link to Gifted Resource Center of New England (GRCNE) article comparing gifted and ASD traits (hat tip to Nolepharm).

WayBack Machine (internet archive) -
    - link: https://archive.org/web/
    - Useful when a website or webpage is NOT FOUND or has been changed and no longer contains the described content
    - Example in this post.

M
    M
    Kingore's site appears to be offline. I do know that I've seen some districts and other assessment tools that reference the Kingore Observation Inventory. One example is a district that spends six weeks evaluating all of the kindergarten students based on the KOI.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by mckinley
    Kingore's site appears to be offline.
    Thanks for the heads-up.

For those not yet familiar with the "Way Back Machine," it is an internet archive and a solution which frequently provides a useful work-around.

Search for "Way Back Machine" or "internet archive" then paste the link you are looking for. If the "Way Back Machine" has archived that link, it will display a timeline and a calendar of archive dates. Click on a date to see the contents of that link as of that archive date.

Example - Archive of Bertie's webpage as of 2018-Feb-18:
    https://web.archive.org/web/20180218104734/http://www.bertiekingore.com/high-gt-create.htm

E
    OP Offline
    E
    thanks, indigo and mckinley, for the resources. smile

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM