Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    DianaG Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I've asked in the past about this subject, but we ended up not moving so the testing never happened. The kids are bigger now, so I'm looking for advice.

We have found a gifted school we are considering for our children. We will be moving to the area from abroad.

We are considering IQ testing, and that would remain valid for two years.

For the older child, we're able to get him an WISC-V.

For the younger child, can you please comment on our testing options? He will not be old enough for a WISC.
    - WPPSI-III
    - SB5
    - IQ test in second language

Can you provide any advice or recommendations on the choice of test? Once the school year settles down, I will confirm with the school that our preferred test is acceptable for their admission, but I'd like to go in knowing which test is better.

Any information and advice is welcome. Obviously, an accurate picture of our children would be ideal, but a number higher enough for acceptance, even if it is an underestimate, is the goal.

Last edited by DianaG; 09/20/17 06:02 PM.
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    In terms of accuracy, on general principle, I would say that the most accurate (and likely highest) number would be obtained from the English SB5 (assuming English is his stronger language).

The English WPPSI-III would likely be the next preferred instrument, as ceiling issues, while always a real concern for very high functioning learners, are not as concerning to me in this case, as the age range of the instrument goes up to 7-3.

A brief internet search finds that the (test in second language) is viewed as better for discriminating intelligence at the lowest end of the curve than other instruments, and not preferred for discriminating above IQ 120. It does have the advantage that it is less verbally-loaded, and might not have as much of a penalty for testing in the weaker language.

Last edited by aeh; 09/21/17 04:12 AM. Reason: OP privacy

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    DianaG Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Aeh, thank you for that overview. It's very helpful. You're a real asset here.

T
    T
    Not an expert on testing, but on freaky family logistics...

You say that testing remains valid for two years and I know that is the standard in the profession, but is it the schools policy? I'd make sure to get that in writing, together with the tests they will accept. And try to find out what will happen if you have to defer admission and the school changes their policy for some reason - will they be grandfathered in in case they have already been admitted? And what if they haven't, because you never got that far in the process?

I'm asking because it happened to us, and you have to go to much more trouble to get these results, so they better work for you when you need them to. (If the school is anyway like our public gifted magnet, the answer to all these question from frazzled mom may be "umm...". In the end, I told DS to just suck it up and take the (suddenly exclusively acceptable) group test at the publicly designated testing center, and bloody well make sure he passed the threshold, so no one else would be required to use their brains).

If you have as much confirmation as you can get that a 2 year old WPPSI will work, you could arrange for testing right away and get it over with.

All of this depending of course how much hassle the trip would be. Good luck with figuring it all out!

Last edited by Tigerle; 09/21/17 02:03 AM.
    DianaG Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks, Tigerle, for the reminder to get everything arranged in advance with the school. Waiting for the school year to settle in, and then we'll start making plans.

It's a hassle, but you're right, with the luxury of time, the hassle can be managed.

Editing out the original post now for privacy.

T
    T
    I have edited my answer following your lead. Please let me know if there is anything else you'd like removed.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM