Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 192 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    Hello all. Thanks for all the great info here. For a DC with FSIQ on individually administered WISC IV of 145, derived GAI 154 (Verbal of 146, PR (reasoning) 143).

DC is creative, easy-going. Would like places to engage with other kids with similar interests and shared enrichment opportunities. Thank you.

G
    G
    Welcome! Those numbers definitely qualify your DC for DYS. Do you have any achievement testing results? DYS might provide social and enrichment opportunities. As for enrichment, you might also look into your local talent search. My daughter takes classes through Johns Hopkins Center for Talented Youth on-line. The classes are expensive, but it has been a good thing.

How is school going for your DC? What was the reason you tested?

B
    OP Offline
    B
    I tested privately because teacher indicated that our child was a gifted learner. I wanted to see if that were true and if I needed to educate myself, etc. I am worried about my child "dumbing down" to play with peers, which is in part a valuable social skill (lol) but is also a problem. So I really hoped Davidson could provide ideas and opportunities.

However it sounds like the IQ scores and portfolio are not favored and that an achievement test in addition is required. I am not sure if I want to do testing just to qualify for Davidson. I like the idea of development for its own sake and wonder in the marvel of learning -- just for itself.

Should we expect that we will need to take achievment tests then?

A
    A
    I am not sure how dys looks at just IQ and a portfolio. We did achievement at the same time and I would say it was helpful. I realized that DD needs to be challanged more in math, and that even with our working on a 3rd grade level in homeschool while she should be in K, she needs more. I guess deep down I knew this as she never struggles or has to work at it and it seems easy for her, but the achievement testing pointed it out for us and made us reevaluated what we are doing. The tester we used has tested for DYS a lot and is a professor at a college so she was fairly inexpensive for both. I am not sure if I would have done the testing solely for DYS though if it had been expensive but I am glad I have the results.

DD6- DYS
    Homeschooling on a remote island at the edge of the world.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM