Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #141242 10/23/12 03:16 PM
    P
    petunia Offline OP
    OP Offline
    P
    My son has been nominated to participate in this talent search as a 7th grader. Does anyone have any thoughts/opinion/advice on whether to have him take the ACT or the SAT. According to the school, the ACT is more a measure of achievement and the SAT a measure of abilibty.

What I am is good enough, if I would only be it openly. ~Carl Rogers
    C
    C
    My 14 y/o took the SAT in 7th and the ACT in 8th. We found it somewhat useful but not a major thing. The benefits were giving her practice with the tests before they mattered, that she got an award from the talent search (which she liked) for her scores, the scores would have qualified her for summer programs through any of the talent searches had we had the $ to spend on them, and that her high school was highly impressed with the scores b/c her ACT scores from age 12 beat out the average score of their high school juniors so it might have helped with advocacy there. On the other hand, her placement in high school classes was in no way contingent on the scores and she already had her GT id.

I did want to comment on the "achievement/ability" thing, though. The SAT used to be an aptitude test, which correlated with ability fairly well whereas the ACT has always been an achievement test. When the SAT was renormed maybe 10 yrs or more ago, it was changed to be more in line with the ACT and is no longer considered a quasi ability measure. However, both tests can reasonably be considered aptitude tests moreso than achievement tests when used as above level measures especially if the child is not prepped ahead of time. By this, I mean that you don't go and sign him up for the Princeton Review ahead of time not that you don't give him any idea of what the test will look like or how he should approach it (answering questions he knows first and skipping harder ones, etc.).

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM