Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 186 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #130251 05/23/12 08:57 AM
    L
    OP Offline
    L
    Hi all. My DGS6 met with the neuropsych on Monday. It went very well. She didn't do much additional testing, since we had quite a lot done already. She "got" my DGS and his dad and our whole family. She ruled out ASD of any kind. The school had concerns about hand flapping and some noises. She says all her gifted kids make the same hand motions. She thinks it's just a coping mechanism for the speed of their brains and to combat boredom.

She is putting together recommendations for us and for the school and we will get those in a couple of weeks. She took all her observations and all the previous psych and educational testing and is evaluating them as a whole to put together recommendations.

We were thrilled. She is very smart, very personable and took the time to speak to DS and DGS each separately and won them both over. Preliminarily we are looking at anxiety (we knew that), probable ADHD, and maybe a SLD in reading. So, we are definitely looking at counseling, but I don't know yet about school accommodations.

She is an hour and a half from us, and doesn't want to us to drive that far for weekly counseling. (My boys trust her, so we will, of course!) The part that impressed me is that she said she writes her recommendations so that "if they don't know what they're doing, I will tell them what to do and how I want it done." It was such a pleasure to find someone who cares, who "gets" gifted and twice exceptional kids and understands that schools need very specific, detailed recommendations.

It went far better than I had ever hoped and I am looking forward to her recommendations. Hope is a wonderful thing!

leahchris

So great to hear! Sometimes it's just so nice to feel that someone gets it!

She thought she could, so she did.
    Originally Posted by leahchris
    The part that impressed me is that she said she writes her recommendations so that "if they don't know what they're doing, I will tell them what to do and how I want it done." leahchris
    Great News Leahchris -
    I like this too - she can 'codeswitch!'
    smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    D
    D
    Hi, Leahcrhis,
    Your neuropsych sounds awesome--I had never heard before that the hand flapping thing was a possible gifted trait, because that was one of the big things DD's teacher focused on when DD was 3 to refer her for the first of many evaluations. Now DD is 8 and we are still having problems with her behavior and with teachers, which has led me to a search for an expert neuropsych who might be able to give us an expert opinion to refer to in the future. I have gone through all the tentative diagnoses we got this year and compared them to what is said about them in the Misdiagnosis book by James Webb and don't think DD (now 8) meets the criteria for any of them (although she is definitely a bird of a different feather)! wink If you get a chance, could you please PM me (or post) the name of your neuropsych? We are in NC and I'm hoping to find someone on the East Coast or Midwest to do an evaluation to counteract the one we got earlier this year, with which we very much disagree.
    Regardless, I'm glad you found someone who can help you! Good luck going forward,
    Dbat

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM