Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 305 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #103776 05/30/11 12:06 AM
    L
    ljoy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Anyone have any experience with the Roeper method of Qualitative Assessment? It seems like hocus-pocus to me, but maybe I just like numbers too much...

I know what you mean. To me it does seem to have good thought and experience behind it, as gifted people very often have certain traits that can be sussed out without IQ or achievement testing, and that could be useful in assessing giftedness where testing presents problems.

A lot of numbers recorded on various cognitive ability tests may be based on a somewhat subjective evaluation by the tester (e.g. a 0-1-2 point scale for detail given in an answer to a question). Still, testing numbers are obviously going to represent more objective-seeming proof, and just about any decent IQ or achievement test is going to be actually more objective than a Roeper assessment. For these reasons, results from a Roeper assessment might not be worth much for gaining entry to programs, and they also might not do much for a parent but confirm suspicions that a child is gifted.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    I don't have any personal experience with Roeper method, but I do believe that gifted adults who are sensitive can 'see' giftedness in a deeper and more nuanced way than bright or average adults.

If you think of all the gifted adults who marry other gifted adults, then it's pretty obvious to me that part of general human compliment of skills is experiencing other people as 'like' or 'unlike' the self in terms of giftedness. If most of us can do that, then isn't it likely that some of us can do that very well?

I've read many articles written by Roeper, and find them charming and full of wisdom. Doesn't mean it isn't hocus-pocus, but it's something.

I'd love to hear any of your observations of your family's experience.

Best Wishes,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    A
    A
    Hi,

Our DD was assessed by Anne Beneventi, who is a protege of Anne Marie Roeper and is based in the SF area. We were hesitant to invest in the cost, and to cut to the chase, in our opinion it was well worth the investment and we would highly recommend it.

- our DD was assessed at 3.4 years, when formal IQ testing is unreliable
    - we received a significant amount of guidance on the level of giftedness, her learning style, recommendations on local school options which was our primary concern, issues that we needed to address and referrals to experts who could help
    - she estimated the level of giftedness, which was later confirmed by Linda Silverman
    - in fact Anne utilizes many of the same forms developed by GDC in the pre-assessment

If your child is much older, you might want to put that cost towards formal IQ testing. Especially a resource like GDC. However if the local psychologist has limited experience with the highly gifted, a Roeper qualitative assessment will probably provide much more meaningful guidance than just a number. If we had simply received the number, we would have asked ourselves 'and?....'

Best of luck!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM