Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 325 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    L
    OP Offline
    L
    DD6 is in Kindergarten and we're getting ready to meet with her teacher, principal and the gifted counselor about a grade skip to 2nd for next year. Here are some of her numbers

WISC IV
    GAI
    Verbal
    Perception

Performance Series Testing (used to find out her grade levels)
    Reading 6.4
    Langauge Arts 4.9
    Math 3.0

The teacher thinks her langauge arts and math is comparatively low as she hasn't had any instruction in them.

Everyone has been in agreement so far that a grade skip is probably the best thing for her with acceleration in at least reading. She'll also attend a pull-out gifted program one day a week. Honestly, our experience with the schools so far has been very positive. I think that's because of her kindy teacher.

My question to everyone out there is 2nd grade going to be enough? Should we be looking at maybe 3rd grade? She'll start on EPGY June 1 so hopefully the math will improve as she's actually exposed to it. I'm beating myself up for not taking this on myself.

Social issues: she's tall for her age, best friend is a 2nd grader now, and is very social. We were worried that she might fly under the radar when she went to school because she is so social and a rule follower. Doesn't act up even when she's bored; just comes home and cries.

Anyway - what are your thoughts?

Last edited by LumberJill; 02/10/15 09:13 PM.
    My thoughts are that you're having the right thoughts. smile The only thing I can say with near-certainty is that the skip sounds like a good thing for your daughter, though it won't solve all her problems.

Our son, in kindergarten, is in a similar spot, though your daughter may be a little more academically advanced, hard to tell. The school is going to give him a three-week trial in a first-grade class starting next week, then hopefully will be skipping him to second. They plan to add enrichment at least for math and language arts, but I don't know yet exactly what that will look like. The principal told us that in our district, the rules prohibit more than a single skip within a school! Our son is on the small and young side, but fits in with just about everyone he meets; he also could easily fly under the radar, like your daughter. Right now I remain worried, but am hoping for the best and grateful for the skip and the attention that's being given to us.

Can you ask for MAP testing or something else to figure out her progress against the local math curriculum? One worry may be that she has holes in her knowledge. Documenting that she is at third grade level for math may help avoid getting second-grade concepts taught to her and boring her. Other ideas which occurred to me are to ask whether they can do curriculum compacting (where pre-tests out of a concept she already knows and goes on to the next block of instruction) and/or online stuff like EPGY in the classroom. Sounds like you may be already thinking along those lines.

A skip to third might well be ideal for her. I'd personally get another skip while the getting's good, if she's on board with the idea and you have a strong feeling she would adapt socially. (ETA: Nice point by st. pauli girl below about handwriting too.)

If you haven't done a DYS application yet, are you planning to? The deadline is the first of the month to have it to them, and you need a letter of recommendation in addition to your own documentation.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    Hi LumberJill,

It's hard to say based on just this information. But first of all, it's really wonderful that your school is being so open and accepting to a grade skip at all. It's hard for many!

I'm not familiar with the performance series testing, but I think a lot of GE information can be misleading. I believe the numbers represent what an average kid at that grade level would achieve, and average is not really where you want your kiddo to be. Does your school use MAP, by any chance? That type of testing really shows more what your child knows, so you can compare with the curriculum at the school what's being taught at which grade.

Also, when is your DD's birthday? Is she one of the older kids in her class? Just asking for how big the size differenc would be if she skipped 2 grades.

How is your DD at writing? There is a lot more writing going on, the higher the grade levels. How about sports? If you think she may be talented at any activities, you might not want to accelerate her so much. Similarly, accelerated kidscan sometimes be at a disadvantage in academic contests.

Have you checked out the curriculum in 2nd and 3rd? That will give you a better idea about what your DD is currently doing compared with what's going to be taught.

Hope this helps a little. Lots to think about.

L
    OP Offline
    L
    Thanks for the input!

DD6 is a March birthday. Her handwriting is ok, she's been working with a small group of 2nd graders on 3rd grade reading stuff so that's helped quite a bit.

I don't think we use MAP here. She is going to be taking the Woodcock Johnson III in a couple of weeks as part of a DYS application. I just don't think I can come up with a strong enough portfolio so we're going the testing route.

After having 24 hours to digest everything I think a single skip with acceleration in reading is probably what we'll pursue. Considering she can't (won't) tie her shoes yet 3rd grade may be a stretch. Besides, I want this to be a roaring success and don't want to set her up for potential failure. I know that may be wishful thinking smile

That sounds reasonable - afterall, it's a process! You can alway ask for another skip in Dec 2011 if you underguessed.

Best Wishes,
    And don't worry about the shoes too much. I was very concerned when DS's foot grew out of the sizes that came with velco closures. Not to worry. DS just used his sneakers like loafers and left them tied all the time. Yeah, I'm still not sure how he did that!

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM